GrauGeist's Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well guys, I was going to update this thread the first week of July but I was having difficulties retrieving photos from the drive.

That was the beginning of the end of the drive, apparently. What infuriates me, was that was my backup drive and while I have a duplicate drive for my main photos elsewhere, this drive also contained unique photos from other cameras of mine besides the two Pentaxes. And to rub salt in the wound, even though the drive was under warranty, they will not waive the $500 fee to recover the data from the drive. I am so angry, I can barely speak of this without harboring thoughts of throat-punching everyone at Seagate.

Anyway, I will put a few up that have been taken since 1 July, since I have a temporary photo folder on my computer's drive until I get this matter resolved.

Here's a some 4th of July fireworks shots. The fireworks' launch site was a little over a mile distant and I was on a knoll.

IMGP9373-ed[720x477].jpg

IMGP9355-ed[720x477].jpg

IMGP9304-ed[720x477].jpg

IMGP9349-ed[720x477].jpg

IMGP9262-ed[720x477].jpg

And as some of you may have seen on facebook recently, I rescued 3 kittens that were almost 3 weeks old. Long story, but they are doing very well and have an excellent outlook for their future. These are their photos (taken with my Kodak point-n-shoot):

The littlest one, which is a girl.

100_1102[720x540].jpg

The tabby, which is a boy.

100_1105[720x540].jpg

And the largest one, which is also a girl.

100_1107[720x540].jpg

After stabilizing their condition (took over 3 days), I turned them over to a "foster Mom" who is doing a great job with them, but before I took them over, I decided to get some "Official" photos with my Pentax.
Well, taking photos of little animals is virtually impossible unless you have an assistant (or more) AND some form of strong adhesive. The tiny girl and the tabby were able to be photographed somewhat successfully (many many attempts made yielded only one usable photo each) and the big girl was absolutely impossible to photograph (unless she was eating) so I only have these two quality photos to share.

The little girl:

IMGP9564-ed[720x477].jpg

And the little tabby:

IMGP9555[720x477].jpg

As always, thanks for stopping by!

...Oh, and superb shots of the fireworks sir. Mine always turn out a blur of light. :lol:
Aaron, check out the photography hints, tips and equipment thread, I posted some info that you might find useful for fireworks!

More awesome Pics Dave, the 2nd pic of the cats is one happy kitten, well done on saving them!
Thanks, much appreciated. I have found that I simply can't change the world, no matter how hard I have tried over the years. But in this case, I did change the world for three little souls who would have perished like their 6 siblings. The world is a cruel and heartless place and for one brief moment, I was able to alter it's course.

The little girl in a cup is so cute above all :)
Thank You, Shinpachi-san, she was a precious little soul!

Thought I might post an update on the kittens and the failed drive...

The kittens are doing fine with their foster Mom, we did have a scare a Monday before last, the little girl was really weak and having great difficulty breathing. So we took her to the vet and found out she had serious pneumonia and the vet said her chances of survival were very poor and suggested she be put to sleep. I wouldn't accept that and told her this little girl has survived worse and let's do what we can to get her better. So she got a shot (which she didn't like) and she was tube-fed an electrolyte formula (which she also didn't like) and the vet prescribed her a diet and a return visit in a week for a follow up shot. While I was holding her, I noticed she was purring and I told the vet that she was and the vet said that dying kittens will often purr to themselves as comfort as they are dying. I told the vet that I suspected that the little girl was purring because I was there and she knew everything would be alright. As it turns out, I was right...she is in perfect health now as are the other two and have grown considerably. They are full of energy (as kittens usually are) and keeping their foster Mom very busy. :lol:

As far as my failed drive goes, it looks like the lady who is doing the recovery might be able to salvage the files on the drive. It seems that the external drive's boot circuit died. We'll know for sure later this week. I am staying optimistic but the lest time I saw the drive's folder, everything was there...so the data was written to the drive before it failed. Fingers crossed and hope for the best!

And I'll be posting some photos here soon :thumbleft:

Thanks Geo and Merv. The kittens remembered the sound of my voice and when I joined the foster Mom at the vetinary hospital, the other two (who were there also) started mewing when they heard me enter the room. Of course, I had to hold them for a little bit while the Vet was doing her vet stuff with the little girl.

After the shot and tube feeding, I was holding the little girl, who was wrapped up in a towel like a little burrito. She didn't open her eyes, but she started softly purring and when I spoke to her, she started doing that "kneading" (some call it making biscuits), so I knew she was up for the fight.

I'm of the mindset that the fight isn't over until they're tossing dirt on your carcass. :thumbleft:

Thanks Shinpachi and Vic!

Now, as promised, some more photos!

A MACRO shot reveals tiny wildflowers, each bloom is less than a 1/4" (7mm) across:
042014.jpg

A Gladiola in my garden:
062014.jpg

A Butterfly:
IMGP37680[720x479].jpg

A Hummingbird:
IMGP9805-ed[720x477].jpg

A Thunderstorm:
IMGP37654[720x479].jpg

Some Lightning:
IMGP9791-ed[720x477].jpg

And some Sunsets!