Trumpeter 1/32 BAC Lightning build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Well guys/gals

This is the start of yet another Monster :evil: first port of call is i've strengthened the area where the wings will go as i think its a bit weak and i'll be adding two more strenghteners to the rear of the cockpit [back of seat]

Also made up and painted the rear exhaust jets, i'm now also having fun drilling/cutting out all of the air ducts also thinned the inside down so it doesn't look like 2 inch steel, scratch built a type of air duct which can be seen in the pictures. I've done this as the model only has outlines for ducts and looks rather poor at this scale :oops:

If anyone has got any fine tips/help i'm all ears :!:

Last edited:
Heres the painted/bodged together exhausts and the many easy stuff which went together quite good and the fit up to press is excellent, somehow seems very Airfixish !

Test fitted the wings and are also a very good fit and installed the wheel bays, everything seems to be falling level unlike an FM kit :rolleyes:

lightning1012.gif

lightning1003.gif

lightning1004.gif

lightning1005.gif

lightning1006.gif

lightning1007.gif

lightning1008.gif

Just a picture to show the gun port holes any advice how to do this on my incorrect plastic ones

Also spotted a problem with the nose ring and air intake on the kit have a look

lightningCockpiteDetail.gif

Well guys this is the other fault i've come across ! The air intake is set too far back and theres an ugly gap between the nose ring and the intake, this can be clearly seen inside the nose. So i'll have to break off the locating tab for the cockpit then move the intake forward until it 'butts' up to the back of the nose ring. Then reposition the cockpit, they sure have cocked up here :lol: !

lightning2001.gif

What an ugly mother of a gap !

lightning2002.gif

The gap viewed from the front/side :shock:

lightning2003.gif

Airfix Lightnings are like this ! just spotted the moulding circles you can't really see them when the centre part is in place.

lightning2004.gif

Rear exhausts glued in, i dry fitted the exhuast nozzles so the exhaust tubes where level when i glued the tubes in.

Thanks for looking you grand lot :grommit:

This is a kind of modelling I like the most Ian.Brilliant beginning...:thumbleft:

For the ugly gap "liquidation" I would suggest to make an additional ring of thin plastic or gluing together two circles made of plastic in order to get the gap dimension.Then you could drill a whole of the intake diameter and shape.

Very good work Ian. I know that 'battling' and improving a kit is all part of the fun, and we all love it, even though we do curse, but, for the price of that kit, I would expect more of the basic kit. I don't mean PE or other 'goodies', just good mouldings, fit of parts, detail parts and so on. It looks very like a scaled-up Airfix 1/72nd kit, and certainly not up to the standard one would expect today, and at that price. If it was £25 or so, then it would only just be acceptable. Revell's Hunters are very good, at a third of the price.
Anyway, on a more positive note, I'll get those pics scanned and sent off to you this weekend and, BTW, the harness on the Phantom seat is different to the old MB seat in the early Lightnings, and even the Mk6.

Terry you can get the Revell 1/32 Hunter from ''Modelzone'' for.....£9.99p and yes that kit is very good. :shock:

I'm begining to think i should not have brought this Lightning as you say its like a scaled up airfix jobbie, been told it looks like Trumpeter 1/72 version !!

Ordered some of those Phantom harness's i don't think when there in anyone will notice :|

ian.

Just a picture to show the gun port holes any advice how to do this on my incorrect plastic ones

Also spotted a problem with the nose ring and air intake on the kit have a look

lightningCockpiteDetail.gif

Got no pics for you. But to make gun ports drill hole(diameter to match widst part of port) in sprue(to make a tube). Cut sprue to length of gunport. Cut rectanglar hole in fuse. Glue in sprue tube just covering the hole in tube which faces the rear of fuse, front hole of tube must just touch surface of fuse. File and sand. Hey presto gun trough.

You're right Ian, the harness differences won't be noticed! Only £9.99 for the 1/32nd Hunters, instead of £26 at Model Hobbies, £29 at Hannant's? I'm having one!!

Great work Ian! this should be yet another superb effort by you!

I haven't bought a trumpeter kit yet. I guess I'm not that convinced by their price and features.

As you can see guys i've put all the nose parts together and theres no way whats so ever in putting the intake trunking directly to the back of the nose ring as you can see in the pictures :oops:

lit001.gif

This ugly gap has got to be closed up as you can clearly see it from the front.

lit002.gif

More head aches on a poorly researched model Well done Trumpeter. :rolleyes:

lit004.gif

Started the office,simple matt black covering with satin black switches and dry brushed with H56.

lit005.gif

Made up the Firestreaks, fit OK here ! and look rather neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back