1/32 Tamiya P-51D-5 "Little Eva III"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Andy!! I took the very thin, like hair, wires from a big one, i think an antenna wire!! If i remember well i took 6 or 8 of them, lightly twisted them, glued the one side kai painted them with an off white color!! I cut small strips of a micro tubing black rubberry....dont know how to call it hehe but i will post a photo..

20230821_210317.jpg

20231010_195432.jpg

20231010_195637.jpg

20231010_195643.jpg

Extremely amazing work. I love Mustangs and this is an outstanding build.

Not sure if anyone brought this up, but I think your main gear doors are finished wrong inside.
I think you've got the colours/finishes backwards.
The inner door panel would be green ...and the added rub plate* is usually bare metal (maybe polished).
(*where the tire rubs the door)
Unless your aircraft is somehow different from other P-51Ds, and I am wrong?

p51d door.jpg

Extremely amazing work. I love Mustangs and this is an outstanding build.

Not sure if anyone brought this up, but I think your main gear doors are finished wrong inside.
I think you've got the colours/finishes backwards.
The inner door panel would be green ...and the added rub plate* is usually bare metal (maybe polished).
(*where the tire rubs the door)
Unless your aircraft is somehow different from other P-51Ds, and I am wrong?

View attachment 753642

IMHO you may find the door painted/finished in a couple of different ways. However the most of them are the post-war restorations and shouldn't be be taken into consideration.

door.jpg

cpvjby-jpg.jpg

the pic source: Airfix 1/48 P-51D

Good morning gents,
Took me some time to update the topic, my work was a bit slow but here I am!!!
First, i had to decide how to deal with the landing gear legs! The fit of the small part covering them was not so good, at least on my case, also the way tamiya deals with it is great in order to keep the right angles (i think it is the case with all the kits).
So i decided to screw them in place, glue the cover on it and sand any imperfections. And of course mask them for painting. It was a little PITA as i had to take care not to break them!!
Also the fit of the guns covers was not perfect!!
After solving all those items i masked everything and started dealling with the rivets and panel lines. Painful work, you should check the putty work always after sanding to prevent any ghost sheams to come up. Ok i know, the panel lines were there and sometimes you could see them, anyway....
The best outcome took it with stretch sprue glued inside the panel line, leave it to cure some days and light sand it repeatedly!

7Ir2Lht.jpg

9aoj1wL.jpg

dPxBXYD.jpg

9OEBHqY_resize.jpg

I left everything to cure and dealt with the propeller....

9KzMqO9.jpg

UOGariV.jpg

I primed her with mrp, ready to spray, grey and black primers (i strongly recommend them, easy work, dry rock hard, sandable), grey where the silver paint will go and black for the bare metal. I lightly sanded them in order to slightly polish them. You see the very thin metal paints show everything every small paint particle, i wanted to avoid it as much as i could!!!

hp5VN4R.jpg

CtFKxKR.jpg

I had decide to paint my own insignia, as a matter of fact i wanted to paint all the markings except the ones i couldn't (names, kill marks, etx)
I found a real deal, here on Greece, on a lightly used Shillouette Portrait 3 machine (80 euros only) and i ''killed'' it on the move!!!!
I spent some time to do the basics on the software and i finally managed to design my own insignia masks with the recommented proportions!!
Here i must thank Jennings (fundekals) for his help with the fuselage and tail codes!!!
Now regarding the painting order. It was my second time trying to paint the insignia... also usually the metal colors, at least the one i chose for the bare metal, are very fragile. I did not want any surprises, so i decided to do a''reverse'' painting, paint all the insighnia, codes, bars etc, (except the fuselage and tail codes) mask them and paint the metals last!
So....

P0B2AF0.jpg

seccnIj.jpg

khjCr5R.jpg

toM7NX4.jpg

byKm9lu.jpg

LF7ryzK.jpg

UXgmMK6.jpg
Wsr6hpv.jpg

IO5PZU4.jpg

JdJgZS3.jpg

Antiglare....