Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1D RNZAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

all glossed up and no where to go. yet. Tomorrow decals maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_4093.jpeg
    IMG_4093.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
decals are on. Ventura decals are very thin and like to stick. Tore one of the wing rounds because of that.

Attachments

• IMG_4113.jpeg
    IMG_4113.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
well, decals on. Ended up using the blade to get the decals to tuck into the panel lines sufficiently.

Glossed again (a bit extra around the edges of the decals. Then flat. At a slight distance, looks good. On closer inspection…. you can easily see the carrier film.

The decals have been hit with Microsol, Mr Solvent and Solvaset a total of over 15 times…. but there is no ridge at the edge of the film. Lightly running a toothpick across the edge feels smooth.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Attachments

• IMG_4146.jpeg
    IMG_4146.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4148.jpeg
    IMG_4148.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
i have lightly sanded the edges of the carrier film only where the surface is flat. now to hit it with gloss again and then flat. 🤞🤞

Attachments

• IMG_4201.jpeg
    IMG_4201.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Just seeing this build now - looks great mate.
Note that for most kiwi Corsairs, including NZ5416, you'll need an F4U-1A prop.

(TUTAE WERA is one of my 'to do' subjects aswell, but I will be making her as freshly parked up at Rukuhia in 1948, awaiting sale and scrapping)

Working on many builds (as i tend to do) but finishing few. This Tamiya Corsair is progressing nicely. Here is the start.
Just now seeing this as well. I'm about to light up this same one for the GB61. You have not noted, but it appears to be the Tamiya 1/72 60752 kit? Curious about the gray in the wheel bays and the tail section? My inst indicate the mix of XF-3/XF-5 to get the interior color; but I choose the Vallejo 71.137 instead, and this is what is called for in all those areas?

Note that for most kiwi Corsairs, including NZ5416, you'll need an F4U-1A prop.

(TUTAE WERA is one of my 'to do' subjects as well, but I will be making her as freshly parked up at Rukuhia in 1948, awaiting sale and scrapping)
I have this Corsair in my stash in 1/32 and will be doing the Tutae Wera but I'll have to be content with the kit prop. The cost of purchasing one (Edwards is the only source I could find) and postal costs ..................................... not worth thinking about. :cry::cry:

This is the 1/72 Tamiya F4U-1D kit. After reading a lot in various forums and in Dana Bell's excellent books, i went with Navy Blue H-54 for the gear bays and the tail gear and iirc Light Aircraft Gray H-332 for the MLG and cowl interior.

i'm pretty sure i went with the kit prop. I only have one Tamiya F4U-1A kit, but not sure if i need that prop for either a VF-17 or Ronnie Hay's Corsair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back