1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking very very good Darryl !.:notworthy:

Do you have a deadline in mind for completing your Spit, or are you lucky and it done when its done ?

(and no worries on the pics !)

Gary,

Thanks mate! No, no deadline. It WAS a 12 month build finishing in June 09. I realised that, as I was over spec (and over budget!!!) it would drag out Jan 10 then to to June 10. I wont even quite make that but will go close (absent some detailing).

Thankyou all guys. It keeps my motivtion up knowing someone else is enjoying it too!

After this weekend I should have some good pics.

I carved a new, early model, throttle handle last night and taking a lead from Tony I got an engraving head for the dremel and engraved the classic "THROTTLE" into the top surface. It didn't come out too bad for a first effort. then I engraved the new rear fuel tankcock that I built (from the windscreen de-ice pattern) and I'm not nearly so happy with that...but I will mount it low and left so it won't show much anyway.

I spent a very long week of nights converting Gwyn's stunning Mk IX throttle back to Mk II specs. It now includes a stop at "Rated Boost", a gate for "Take Off Boost" , button for horn cancel, U/C indicator switch and the Boost Cut-Out Override. It now looks close to the one below. It also has an internal catch plate which prevents the mixture lever being set to weak until the throttle is advanced. When the throttle is closed, it drags the mixture back to full rich with it. THAT was some fun to design!!
I also let Tony inspire me, went and got a dremel engraving bit and carved the "Throttle" legend into the new wooden handle I made. Quite pleased with the result.

Pictures of mine to follow soon.

MkII.gif

03it_001.gif

I have also completed the interior repaint...a major job between disassembly, masking, spraying and tidying up with touch up paint. It looks much better now.

Last night I finally got the monitor tray designed and built. The avionics tray is in as well and just needs to be populated. Tonight wiring and photos, so over the next couple of days there will be a good number of new pics for me to post.

Last edited:
Dazza???
Sounds great mate, looking forward to the pics. David is right, it could make a great new hobby....wonder if Tamiya could be persuaded to produce 1:1 cockpit kits......?!!

Thanks guys (but please, no "dazza"!!! it drives me to distraction...a bad family history thing!:rolleyes:)
OK, finally some photos of the Throttle (and you can see the new better green interior as well on the last two photos..the throttle pics washed out with the flash.).

1. Closed position, Prop Pitch full fine...as you would leave the aircraft.

t1.gif

t6.gif

2. Maximum weak mixture setting with the mixture lever (left) at its full travel. The throttle can be moved forward from here but will exceed the allowable boost if weak mixture is selected. When the throttle is closed from here it takes the mixture back with it to "rich" (fully back) position, so the engine can not be run at weak mixture and low power, which causes detonation if allowed to happen.

t5.gif

3. The warning horn switch (rear) and undercarriage indicator power switch(forward).

t8.gif

4. The label for the throttle...carved with an engraving dremel bit into the wood handle I made.

t9.gif

5. Full rated boost with the throttle at the forward stop...if moved a little left from here it can be pushed further forward to the takeoff setting (or to full boost if the boost override cutout is flipped. I've just noticed that this setting is NOT safe as the mixture is "weak"..it should be pulled back fully...Ill catch hell from the Mechanic for that!!

t4.gif

6. Top view..you can see the stop on the left for the mixture at half way...also the forward stop for Rated Boost and then the slip chanel of the gate to go sideways and a little further forward into Take off Boost.

t3.gif

And a couple of the monitor tray now ready to be installed after the wiring is finished.
tray2.gif

tray1.gif

Last edited:
That throttle quadrant is amazing Darryl, and the interior color looks right on! I didn't make my quadrant, I cheated and bought it on eBay for a truckload of cash. how did you deal with the connecting control rod ends where they bolt onto the quadrant levers? I haven't worked out what I'm going to do there yet and I can't quite see it in your pictures.

Sorry Darryl....no distraction intended....

No worries Wayne, I should have PMed not posted, sorry. No offense taken mate. It just engages my dark side*G*

Thanks Wildcat. Closer now than ever.

Cheers Glenn, they are model aeroplane control linkages..a plastic "saddle" a small metal rod through retained by a split pin. The rods are thin steel and the covering is just 4mm garden piping.

I should have her flying by this weeend..just a problem to srt out with the prop pitch pot and a few switches to wire.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back