1/48 SANGER Mitsubishi Ki-67 Vac...It BEGINS!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Frankly I have no idea how this will be ended but awesome challenge, Ohm-men.
Please let me keep my eyes on your work progress.

I made some progress the last few days and started slowly on the interior of the Peggy. I'll end up scratch building most, as the Sanger parts are either wrong or not included.
The fit of both fuselage halves is better then expected, which is a bonus. (since both halves havng different lengths and I had to to some measuring to see which fuselage half had to be cut shorter) But all lines up now. I glued some tabs into the fuslage to strengten the whole part. Sanger would be better if they used thicker sheet for this. The whole section felt a bit flimsy, but the tabs seam to work.
Though, some of my scribbing does not line up. This will have to be redone.
Still teasing my brains on how to aproach the wings...I have some ideas, but these will involve a lot of work.

I also decided not to overengineer this build as it is my first Sanger kit. No open hatches or super detailed things. I hope to build an exeptable model of this Japanese WWII Bomber.
Bomb bay will also remain closed to suport the wing structure and not to complecate things more. + I hope to keep the somewhat nice "line" of this aircraft intact.

Though, I'm really enjoying this build a lot. I felt scared when I started cutting the vac sheets at first (mostly due the somewhat mixed reviews on Sanger/Contrail kits in general.) But with some careful planning and lots of thinking I actually think it can be done. But it will remain a true modellers challenge up until the end....
Pics will follow soon!

Last edited:
So, as posted earlier, some pictures of the progress;

Cockpit.
DSCF2428.JPG
DSCF2430.JPG
DSCF2427.JPG

I decided to make a new seat, just as a test. I'll most likely make a few more.
The Sanger seat looks more like a mudguard to me and the whole shape is rather incorrect.
A pic from maru mechanic. (not actually showing the seat, but giving some idea)
maru_mechanic_int7.jpg
DSCF2424.JPG

I also did some work on the rest of the fuselage. I glued some vertical rib structure in the fuselage. The horizontal ribs still have to be installed.
I also opened up the side blisters and started working on a floor for the aft fuselage.
DSCF2431.JPG
DSCF2434.JPG

And I decided to tackle the wings again. Some research reveiled that the flaps on the originall aircraft have a gap as they are suposed to slide out. This is not represented on the Sanger wings, so I cut out the flaps. I will have to reconstruct these later on, but it will be a worthwhile effort.
DSCF2432.JPG

Since I was already busy, I did some work on the right wing as well. The hasegawa wing shows a cutout for the landing gear wheel, not prresent on the sanger wing. So cut that out as well.
DSCF2433.JPG

And last, I tackled the engine nacelles. Here the sager instructions are rather vague. You are suposed to construct these, make the cutouts and slide them over the wings.
This looks rather complicated to me, so I diviated from the plan. Contructing the nacelles after sanding them to the correct thickness. Then once dry, I sawed off the engine cover, keeping the gear bay as a seperate item. I will have to make a firewall for the engines afterwards, but this will save me a serious headache afterwards.
DSCF2423.JPG
DSCF2435.JPG

So, again all for now. More to come soon. Stay tuned ;)

Thanks! Oh, and yesterday evening I bite the bullet and ordered Sanger's 1/48 Yokosuka P1Y Ginga/Frances.
The Ginga was the Imperial Japanese Navy's equivalent of the Ki-67. Of simelar dimensions, a much more modren concept.
Again, to little, too late. But just like the Ki-67 a formidable aircraft...

Though, I will finish the Ki-67 first before attempting the Ginga! :)

I made some progress again, started the rib structure of the fuselage. But it gos slowly and it's harder then I thought due to the amount of ribs.
Unlike most allied bombers, the Ki-67 has no bulkheads that separate it's compartiments. So, lots of ribstructure.
But I managed to cut loads of 1mm strips at work (on a large papercuttting press) so at least I got even ribs, though placing them even in fuselage is a bit of a challenge...

But I also got some work done on the engine nacelles and I think I found a way to simelate those engine fans. my spare parts box of Fw-190 parts will be usefull for this I think.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Sanger Yokosuka P1Y kit which I ordered last week...
And since there is nothing to find on this specific kit, I'll post it's contents here ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back