1/48 Spitfire Mk. XVI e - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Aaron, I think I get the picture as I was thinking it was something made of steel, but am now assuming it's kind of like a rubber with a mild abrasive surface, semi-soft and you sort of rub out the paint.

It is made of steel Vic, The cutting surfaces have an edge shaped like a razor sitting perpendicular to the surface being worked. In this way they don't gouge. It shaves just like the razor would if you used it to scrape. The tool is just a little large though.

I will say Brooks your idea is going to work well i tried the fine one i have it works quite nice here is a pic of it i have had it for 12 to 13 years as you can see. I orderd a new one today.

001-41.jpg

002-36.jpg

didnt mean to hijack your build but this idea is very good.

EXCELLENT! Glad it worked for you Woody. I put the color on the Spit yesterday and found a boat load of crap wrong, gloss paint shows a lot more stuff than you want to. There were two dents, one in the outer portion of each wing on the upper surfaces, and my panel replacement is in DIRE need of more finite work. Got it sanded down and the dents filled. Once the filler dries I'll block it down and put another layer of paint on.

It is isn't it. Can't imagine me being let loose with one though - not with my hands! Scrape the paint? Where's the plastic gone?!!
Aaron, a quick tip for future reference, where you have the possibility of 'lumps or bumps' where panel inserts or similar have been done (also good for checking joints and seams). Give the area a coat of light grey matt paint, preferably enamel. Once dry, any irregularities will soon be apparent, and the grey can then be rubbed down with the correction process, and also forms a primer around the area - works every time.

I had a coat of dull grey on it and thought that I had gotten all of the CRAP out but I learned and will definitely heed your advice Terry. I would hate to think of what I would find on the two previous models I've done if they were glossed. And Vic, if you can't find one, PM me and I'll get one and send it your way, and that goes for you to Wayne, and any one else who wants one and can't find one. It works great on the larger areas but with it's size you'll have to resort to something smaller.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer Aaron, but not a problem mate, saw a stack of them on eBay last night, just need to check the bank balance and decide if it's worth it. In other words, reality check……………….. 'do I really need it'!!!!!!!

Ok guys, she needs just a little more rubbing but it's looking pretty good if I do say so, all except for the surface quality. My reduce is to cool and flashing off before the paint hits the surface. I have cut the air pressure down to help alleviate this problem but the basement has warmed up way to much. Here's a LONG OVERDUE photo update.

Attachments

• 09 08 12_1482 resized 20.jpg
    09 08 12_1482 resized 20.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 68
  • 09 08 12_1483 resized 20.jpg
    09 08 12_1483 resized 20.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back