1/72 Focke Wulf Fw-190F-8 w. BV 246 Hagelkorn - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with the way the wingroots turned out.

And while I'm at it, a little further progress can be reported. With the large gaps at the wingroots fixed it was time to glue in place the wings and elevators.

The lower cowl to wing leading edge areas definitly need a little trimming and filling here and there, but I'm guessing it won't be too hard to fix this. I fear some detail may be lost along the way though. Mainly the hinges (?) on the lowerside of that teardrop-like fairing. However, as I was looking through my Squadron Signal walk-around book it seems to me these hinges are depicted way too prominent anyway on this Revell kit, so perhaps it would be appropriate to sand them off all together and scribe a few more subtle panel-lines in their place or if it's raised detail on the real thing replace it by something more subtle (maybe a thin piece of stretched sprue or something.)

As for the filling and sanding, this led from one thing to another. Given the area where all this needs to take place there's a pretty good chance I will knock off the two inner guns (molded into the wing part of the kit) somewhere along the way. Since these guns don't look particularly good anyway I decided to cut these off right away and replace these (and the other weapons too) by a set of turned brass FW-190 weapons (2 pair of cannon and a pair of MG's to be placed on the upper cowl.)

Another thing I decided to replace is the clearparts. The kit begins to show signs of age, and the one part this is most visible is the clearparts. Lots of scratches and a very un-even surface with some air bubbles trapped way inside the plastic..., a very thick sprue-attachement point that makes it impossible to remove the clearpart from the sprue without damaging it.... and a rather poor fit on top.

In other words....some after-market bits will be added in the shape of:

1. vacu-form clearpart(s)
2. a turned brass set of FW-190 guns.

I will edit my start-post and list these added aftermarket items there as well

Attachments

• 15 - airframe.JPG
    15 - airframe.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 17 - lower cowl 02.JPG
    17 - lower cowl 02.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 16 - lower cowl 01.JPG
    16 - lower cowl 01.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Thanks Wayne! Yeah...those wingroots looked pretty dramatic at first, but in the end it was actually quite easy to fix. I guess the same trick will work well on other models and scales too. Or will you be working on the same kit?

Just posted some pics of what work I need to address on my A-1 wing to fuselage joints...

Yeah...I noticed 'em after I posted my previous message. Looks like you'll need to work on those too..a lot

Last edited:
...and the fun is only just beginning! The new clearpart and weapon-set arrived just now. I need to chop off the plastic part of the backward sliding canopy in order for the new clearpart to fit! Heavy duty grinding coming up, whoopie! Looking at the vacu-form part, I'm pretty sure it will be worth the effort as it's a huge improvement over the kit-parts.

...time to bring out the motor tool for the rough work and then gently work the area into a good fit for the vacu-form replacement...or remove part of the vacu-form part to make it fit the revell fuselage with partial back rear area of the canopy already in place.

Last edited:
THX guys! Hope do be able to do some more work on this soon, and also start another build for this GB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back