3D aerial photography

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hah! You my sir, are either a liar or a gentleman!:pilotsalute:
Or maybe just a lucky bastard! As I said before, it's a good thing the flyover didn't happen a few minutes earlier. Coulda been compromising.
I was surprised the next morning to find out from the photo guys she was the Admiral's secretary and had a rep amongst the troops as a druggie and a party animal.

I'm a former imagery analyst, having served in the British army, and continued as an IA after I retired. Although stereoscopy is not used as much in the digital world, it is still possible to produce digital images, called anaglyphs, by overlaying different-tinted overlapping images and looking at them on screen using glasses with red/blue or red/green lenses!
When I was a "junior" in the discipline, I was told that experienced IAs could see 3D from two overlapping images without using a stereoscope! Now I'm a lot older and wiser, I can still use this trick, which really helps when doing "spot the difference" puzzles! It's just a case of slightly crossing your eyes until you see three images, then concentrating on the one in the "middle". Any differences will appear as a fuzzy blur!

I used to be able to do that sometimes Chris, but if I tried now, my eyes would probably stay crossed. !!!
I certainly remember having a headache, after long periods using the stereoscope, and these days I'm reminded of this when using my "Optivisor" magnifying head band, for long periods when modelling.
It's a b*gger getting old !

I'm a former imagery analyst, having served in the British army, and continued as an IA after I retired. Although stereoscopy is not used as much in the digital world, it is still possible to produce digital images, called anaglyphs, by overlaying different-tinted overlapping images and looking at them on screen using glasses with red/blue or red/green lenses!
When I was a "junior" in the discipline, I was told that experienced IAs could see 3D from two overlapping images without using a stereoscope! Now I'm a lot older and wiser, I can still use this trick, which really helps when doing "spot the difference" puzzles! It's just a case of slightly crossing your eyes until you see three images, then concentrating on the one in the "middle". Any differences will appear as a fuzzy blur!
Are those the things that used to be in newspapers years ago, what looks like a random crazed pattern has a 3-D image in it if you stare "through" it?

I used to be able to do that sometimes Chris, but if I tried now, my eyes would probably stay crossed. !!!
I certainly remember having a headache, after long periods using the stereoscope, and these days I'm reminded of this when using my "Optivisor" magnifying head band, for long periods when modelling.
It's a b*gger getting old !
It's a funny old thing, but since I've stopped using a stereoscope, my eyesight has deteriorated a bit!

Are those the things that used to be in newspapers years ago, what looks like a random crazed pattern has a 3-D image in it if you stare "through" it?

A very similar technique! It's a matter of relaxing your eyes enough to be able to adjust the focal point!

I used to love teaching stereoscopy to student IAs, the result of them getting two images into stereo almost always resulted in shouted expletives! :D

An acquaintance of mine was debriefing a German IA after the war, and asked why their analysts made so many basic errors, given the superb quality of their optical equipment.
The German replied that stereoscopy wasn't used in first-phase reporting (hot off the press initial examination of the sortie) and only came into play in the much later third phase analysis. Then there was the problem of the "monocle syndrome"! In the German forces, only Lt Cols and above were "allowed' to wear a monocle. If you didn't wear a monocle, you were ignored! I'm afraid that even as a seasoned Warrant Officer, I experienced the same syndrome from senior officers!

Yep, even allowing for ageing, I've noticed the same.
In my "civvy" career, I spent many hours each day using a "dot" glass, checking half-tone negatives and prints, and rarely, if ever, got tired eyes or poor vision.
Similarly, when modelling, using the "Optivisor" and various strength magnifying glasses, my eyes were fine. But, over the last six months, I haven't used these tools, and now find I need to wear reading glasses to view the computer screen properly, and for reading, which, for the most part, I didn't need to do previously.

StackPath

first photo has her stereoscope on her desk

The wonderful Constance Babington Smith! I have looked at imagery using that actual stereoscope and Leitz magnifier! They both now repose in the Medmenham Collection at Chicksands, which is home to the Intelligence Corps Museum, and other collections! I also had the great honour of meeting her a couple of years before she passed away!

Yep, even allowing for ageing, I've noticed the same.
In my "civvy" career, I spent many hours each day using a "dot" glass, checking half-tone negatives and prints, and rarely, if ever, got tired eyes or poor vision.
Similarly, when modelling, using the "Optivisor" and various strength magnifying glasses, my eyes were fine. But, over the last six months, I haven't used these tools, and now find I need to wear reading glasses to view the computer screen properly, and for reading, which, for the most part, I didn't need to do previously.
As my Dad used to say (in Welsh), "Old age doesn't come on its own!"

A very similar technique! It's a matter of relaxing your eyes enough to be able to adjust the focal point!

I used to love teaching stereoscopy to student IAs, the result of them getting two images into stereo almost always resulted in shouted expletives! :D
It is also similar to the technique for seeing aircraft in a clear blue sky, with no cloud your eyes focus a few feet in front of your face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back