A-1 Skyraider vs A-26

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Doesnt a gun rotating at 1000 RPM act as a gyroscope.?

Bomb racks have sway braces on them that are adjustable for the different diameters of the various bombs.
On a iron bomb you could adjust the sway braces very tight, the bomb sides didn't give, but on the aluminum sides of a firebomb, even though there was structural ribs on the inside of the bomb body where the sway braces would contact the bomb body, you'd get a little movement with a napalm bomb even with the sway braces tight. You could get at the extreme tail, or nose, and push, and something gave way, the napalm bomb's sides were flexing.

I just installed bombs, not ECM pods, or gun pods, but I suspect those sway braces , no matter how tight, couldn't take all the movement out of a aluminum sided pod, and even at my strongest I couldn't put as much side force on a hanging pod as a hard maneuver could.

Right on, Pbehn! It does. However, due to the relatively small diameter and compactness of the rotating mass, the gyroscopic forces are light compared to some of the other forces at work. Gyroscopic precession, especially during the spin-up acceleration would certainly add to the side loads working on the shackles and braces, as well as influencing the trajectories of the rounds. This is something the engineers supposedly took into account in the design process.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
Airframe mounted guns can be boresighted and aligned much easier than pod mounted. They also hold zero better. As BiffF15 can confirm, we would verify and adjust the F-15 gun boresight with the gun reticle on the HUD so point of aim and point of impact matched at a given range. This was done periodically or before a special event such as weapons evaluation (WSEP). The gun was very accurate from what I had seen during the couple weapons evals I was involved in.

I was thinking of starting another thread, but I figure it could be stuffed into this thread as it relates to the same topic

How much did the AD variants cost vs the A-26/B-26 variants?

I was thinking of starting another thread, but I figure it could be stuffed into this thread as it relates to the same topic

How much did the AD variants cost vs the A-26/B-26 variants?

That would be a difficult calculation to make, as the A-26/B-26 variants were produced during WW2, while the AD's were produced after. In any case, and with the proviso that a direct comparison may not be reliable, wikipedia (I know, I know; Douglas A-26 Invader - Wikipedia) gives $242,595 in 1942 for the A-26, and http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/a-1_skyraider.pl gives $414,000 for the Skyraider, but that was for one of the two-seat variants.

That would be a difficult calculation to make, as the A-26/B-26 variants were produced during WW2, while the AD's were produced after. In any case, and with the proviso that a direct comparison may not be reliable, wikipedia (I know, I know; Douglas A-26 Invader - Wikipedia) gives $242,595 in 1942 for the A-26, and http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/a-1_skyraider.pl gives $414,000 for the Skyraider, but that was for one of the two-seat variants.
Where would one go to find out the costs of fighters/attack/bombers of different eras?

I'm not even sure where I would look. That's a lot of stuff to sift through...

My apologies, I haven't read all of the thread. It was vaguely interesting, because Ive recently read similar claims for the DH98, being able to turn inside a spitfire.......I don't believe this claim, but it is also claimed that the mosquito managed to destroy over 600 enemy fighters in daylight, another claim to fully accept. Something like that probably, but hard to accept it in total.

There are a LOT of lies out there accepted as truth.

Alas, quite true. Many of the historical "truths" are based on unreliable or missing data; this is especially true when looking at battle statistics from more than a century or so back (McPherson, in his Battle Cry of Freedom, states that Civil War casualty statistics aren't reliable; I suspect that this is even more true for earlier large-scale conflicts). Many of the other "truths" are due to deliberate concealment (the rather genocidal nature of the Indian Wars in Colonial North America and the United States, for example). I wouldn't consider the former to be "lies," and well-meaning people can (and do) defend what they learned in school even if it was bowderlized. However, holding to an opinion once there is evidence showing it to be in disagreement with fact is, at best, lying.

I think a third area where "truths" in conflict with reality arise is when people focus on one facet of a complex phenomenon, and ignore the others. Aircraft related issues that may exemplify this are that the US 0.50 in M2 machine gun was the absolute best aircraft gun of the war (it almost certainly wasn't, although it was the best available in quantity for US aircraft) or that German aerodynamics was decades ahead of everyone else (again, almost certainly not true; witness that the P-40 had performance comparable to the Bf109 despite being nearly a half-ton heavier, oh, and the Bf109, along with many other German aircraft used NACA airfoils)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back