A pair of 1/48 Ta 152's/ Ta 152 H-1 also painted!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Congratulations Jerry for that remodeling of your work area.
That pair of birds now can arise with greater freedom. :salute:
I am also expanding my arsenal of Vallejo products. Well done so far.

Saludos hasta Bélgica :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind replies!

So, I found some time a carried on with the pair of Ta's.
Both models recieved paint on their undersides. I used Lifecolor's RLM 76 for this in a few tin layers while adding some white and more thinner as I wen't allong. First is the "H", the other 2 pics are from the "C" which has some alu unpainted pannels. For the Aluminum I used some Humbrol Metalizer. I also did the RLM 76 sides on both aircraft.
. DSCF4554.JPG DSCF4548.JPG DSCF4555.JPG DSCF4552.JPG

Next I added some Vallejo Air Neutral grey to the uppersides, just to break the black base paint a bit. I've seen John (JKim) doing this on his spectacular Fw 190 D build, so I had to give it a try.

DSCF4547.JPG DSCF4549.JPG DSCF4550.JPG DSCF4551.JPG

And since I had good results with the Lifecolor and Vallejo paint, I decided to buy the "1941- end of war Luftwaffe Air War set" from Vallejo as well.
I'm pretty pleased how these paints turned out on the "C" model. The colors used were RLM 75 and RLM 83 as per Hobby Boss instructions.

DSCF4559.JPG DSCF4560.JPG DSCF4561.JPG DSCF4556.JPG DSCF4557.JPG

Next will be the Falcon "H" as this has different colors then the "C" (RLM 81/82)

So far I learned that both Lifecolor and Vallejo paints are easy to work with as long as you take the necesary precautions;

-Degrease your model (wash the surfaces with water with a few drops of dishwashsoap added) If you don't, every fingertip, moldrelease agent will show it's nasty face...The paint will just refuse to stick on these "poluted" surfaces.
-Mix your paints in a seperate jar to the consistancy of"skimmed milk" before poring the mix into the airbrush.
-Start with a few drops of the right thinner
-add a few drops of paint and used either "retarder" of "flow improver" to make sure the paint sprays nice without to much "tip" drying.
-Both lifecolor and Vallejo can be sprayed with a mix of 80% demineralised water (I use Osmosis water) and 20% Isopropyl alcohol with a drop of glycirine added. This is a great thinner is you want to spay really thin layers of paint.
- The airpresure of you compressor is also crucial for a good result. I found the "sweet spot" for the Vallejo paint arround 1 tot 1.5 Psi.

I'm sure for most of you this is nothing new, but perhaps helpful for those (like me) who are just starting out with acrylic paint and airbrushing it.

Attachments

• DSCF4551.JPG
    DSCF4551.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF4558.JPG
    DSCF4558.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 183
And Falcon's H-1 also recieved some attention. I feel I'm getting the hang of the Vallejo Air paint now.
I started out with RLM 82 light green and used paper masks for the camo pattern.

DSCF4562.JPG DSCF4563.JPG

Next came RLM 83, dark green. This color was a bit more difficult to spray as the coverage of this paint was a bit less, even though I used the same mix of paint and thinner. After adding a few extra drops of paint, I got the coverage I wanted.

DSCF4564.JPG DSCF4565.JPG DSCF4566.JPG DSCF4567.JPG DSCF4568.JPG

I feel I actually got more control over the acrylic paint then I got over the enamel paint I used previously. There is also less splatter from the airbrush with the acrylic paint. Coverage is still something I have to get accustomed to, but it seams with the right mix is can actually paint hairlines. Even the mottle on the tail went on without any difficulty.
I used the same technique on the "H" as on the "C", I filled in the pannel lines with paint in a loose fine pattern. This gives an uneven coverage and makes the black base with neutral grey spots shine through. I still have to do the wave pattern on the leading edge of the "H" wings, as I understand all Ta 152 H models had this. I could not find the exact camo pattern of "Green 1", so I used Monogram's Ta 152 book as a guide, scanded it and printed it in 1/48th scale. I asume this camo is based on the caputered H-0 that is now kept in storage at the Garber facility, so perhaps it's not entirely correct for a H-1? But I still think it looks good, so it will have to do.

I'm also pleased to notice that all my scribbing and rivetting on the Falcon "H" was not in vain as it shows thru nicely under a coat of paint.

DSCF4569.JPG DSCF4570.JPG

I'm very happy with that as I could not imagine to get such "mile-age" out of a vacu kit.:)
Next will be some touching up on both "C" and "H" before putting a thin layer of varnish on, before painting the yellow-red tail band on as I don't trust Italeri's decals for this.:salute:

Looking great Jerry. I haven't tried to thin Vallejo Model Air yet other than adding a few drops of their Airbrush Flow Improver, 10 drops of paint to 3 dops of AFI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back