Air War Betuwe Holland 1940-1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bart

Airman
Apr 1, 2019
Hi there, I am new to this forum. My name is Bart and I live in Holland. I am researching the Air War in a part of Holland, between the rivers Rhine and Waal, called the Betuwe. On September 20 2019 there will be the dedication of a monument which will honor all crews of the 16 planes which crashed within the borders of the municipality of Neder-Betuwe between 1940-1945. So far we have a complete plane list and crew list. But we are looking for the stories behind the crashes. In addition to this monument a website will be made to pass on the stories, of these brave young men who fought for our freedom, to the younger generations. Lest we forget. I hope there are forum members who are willing to help. First case: The crash of a Handley Page Halifax Mk.III MZ715 from 77 Squadron RAF on June 17, 1944. The plane came back from a bombing mission to a fuel factory of Fisher Tropsch in Sterkrade, near Boholt, Germany. It was shot by a German night fighter and exploded in the air killing all aboard except W/O Arthur John Owen which was thrown clear from the plane. He was slightly wounded and taken to a hospital in Arnhem, the same day he entered the hospital he was visited by the German pilot who shot his plane. The German pilot spoke English fluently, because he studied in Oxford. After this first visit, the pilot visited Arthur Owen on a regular basis, before he was transferred to the eastfront, he brought soft fruit as Owens teeth were damaged. I really hope, with the help of forum members, to find out who this German pilot was.

Hi there, I am new to this forum. My name is Bart and I live in Holland. I am researching the Air War in a part of Holland, between the rivers Rhine and Waal, called the Betuwe. On September 20 2019 there will be the dedication of a monument which will honor all crews of the 16 planes which crashed within the borders of the municipality of Neder-Betuwe between 1940-1945. So far we have a complete plane list and crew list. But we are looking for the stories behind the crashes. In addition to this monument a website will be made to pass on the stories, of these brave young men who fought for our freedom, to the younger generations. Lest we forget. I hope there are forum members who are willing to help. First case: The crash of a Handley Page Halifax Mk.III MZ715 from 77 Squadron RAF on June 17, 1944. The plane came back from a bombing mission to a fuel factory of Fisher Tropsch in Sterkrade, near Boholt, Germany. It was shot by a German night fighter and exploded in the air killing all aboard except W/O Arthur John Owen which was thrown clear from the plane. He was slightly wounded and taken to a hospital in Arnhem, the same day he entered the hospital he was visited by the German pilot who shot his plane. The German pilot spoke English fluently, because he studied in Oxford. After this first visit, the pilot visited Arthur Owen on a regular basis, before he was transferred to the eastfront, he brought soft fruit as Owens teeth were damaged. I really hope, with the help of forum members, to find out who this German pilot was.

Bart, I have been given rights to use a painting of the action whereMZ715 was lost - 2 aircraft - 14 crew - 1 survivor. Will write up the story for Bomber Command in Australia Newsletter and come back to you

Bart, I have been given rights to use a painting of the action whereMZ715 was lost - 2 aircraft - 14 crew - 1 survivor. Will write up the story for Bomber Command in Australia Newsletter and come back to you
HP52 nice to read you have been given rights to use a painting of the action. Never new such a painting existed, would love to see this and looking forward to read your story in the BCiA newsletter.

Hi there, I am new to this forum. My name is Bart and I live in Holland. I am researching the Air War in a part of Holland, between the rivers Rhine and Waal, called the Betuwe. On September 20 2019 there will be the dedication of a monument which will honor all crews of the 16 planes which crashed within the borders of the municipality of Neder-Betuwe between 1940-1945. So far we have a complete plane list and crew list. But we are looking for the stories behind the crashes. In addition to this monument a website will be made to pass on the stories, of these brave young men who fought for our freedom, to the younger generations. Lest we forget. I hope there are forum members who are willing to help. First case: The crash of a Handley Page Halifax Mk.III MZ715 from 77 Squadron RAF on June 17, 1944. The plane came back from a bombing mission to a fuel factory of Fisher Tropsch in Sterkrade, near Boholt, Germany. It was shot by a German night fighter and exploded in the air killing all aboard except W/O Arthur John Owen which was thrown clear from the plane. He was slightly wounded and taken to a hospital in Arnhem, the same day he entered the hospital he was visited by the German pilot who shot his plane. The German pilot spoke English fluently, because he studied in Oxford. After this first visit, the pilot visited Arthur Owen on a regular basis, before he was transferred to the Eastern front, he brought soft fruit as Owens teeth were damaged. I really hope, with the help of forum members, to find out who this German pilot was.
Thanks Bart, I will start working on the MZ715 article for the next Bomber Command in Australia Newsletter. One thing I am trying to clear up is whether the crash was caused by enemy action or a collision. My artist friend is a realist and lives near the crash scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back