Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So it was very easy - its the mockup of a twin engined P40 (only photograf I know) never built. Well Done Waynos

Hello mates,

Since I follow up on this thread already for a long time (still waiting to get lucky :) ) I do know that you guys are very, very knowledgeable.

The only Curtiss designation that I know of as P-40 is the P-40 Warhawk, kittyhawk, Tomahawk, so I find it very strange that a totally different aircraft from the same company uses the same designation P-40.

Regards
Kruska

Well done with 'Lorna'.

Next one. Designed as a "trainer-fighter", but by the time WWII arrived, it was considered a pilots "toy"...

Wow, that was a complete guess. I must be cleverer than I thought :)

I haven't forgotten the turret fighter I posted, I've just lost the book its from and can't remember the exact identity, but it is a Bristol.

Correct. Well done! Did it help being Swedish Grampa? :D

According to the article I got the front view drawing from, it mentions that Sparmann designed a "bent-wing fighter that looked like the forerunner of the F4U Corsair", somewhere around 1936. Do you have any further information on this design Grampa?

Next..a biplane fighter...

Looks like a Gladiator, but there's no wing guns, and the canopy seems a bit large. (the 3-blade prop is also an interesting note, used on the Mk.II, but it looks different) The canopy and prop are wrong for the Gauntlet...
And the tailplane's too high.

gloster_gladiatormk1_3v.jpg

It is a FK52 - Well done Emilio

Anyone know that? - (GRAEME style)

Attachments

• aa4red.jpg
    aa4red.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 159
Correct. Well done! Did it help being Swedish Grampa? :D

According to the article I got the front view drawing from, it mentions that Sparmann designed a "bent-wing fighter that looked like the forerunner of the F4U Corsair", somewhere around 1936. Do you have any further information on this design Grampa?

Well what I know of this type is that this plane whas designed by Edmund Sparmann(1) after a request from Flygvapnet of a cheap plane whit an performance like a fighter and inbuild guncamera. The idea of this plane whas to save some money when training pilots in advance aircombat whitout the need of using the advance highcost fighter. P1 whas manufactured in Lilla Essinge in Stockholm, 11 planes whas build. The first 3 of them where sent to F5 in Ljungbyhed and in the time 1945 when there whas only 3 of them left they where sent to F1 in Västerås and F13 in Norrköping and they where scrapped januari 1947 ecxept for one that been preserved for the Flygvapenmuseum in Malmen I Malmslätt. In 1937 the company whas sold to SAAB AB. Later version where equipment whit a hood over the cocpit and some in the late time where painted in camoflagegreen. A interesting thing here is that in 25 augusti 1935 after a serious interest to create a flightmovie called Ungdom av idag (young days) written by Per-Axel Branner and produced by svenska Paramount AB, a part of the movie at that day whas made over the new builded Jönköpings/Rocksjö airfield and there whas a Sparmannjagaren P1(2) flown by lt. Fredrik Lambert-Meuller(4). whit it. He whas about to open the new airfield whit the P1 plane and made a elegant and avdanced manouver show for the moviecamera and for the public. But unfortunaly he made an error in altitude when he whas doing an manouver and hit the ground so hard that it looked sertanly have killed Fredrik. Surprisingly he come out of the wreck unharmed except some bruses, but the P1 whas turned in to kaffeved (coffewood). thx to this accident the movie whas then show whit a headline written "serious comedi", "all fake nonmake" and "all flight whas made of swedish officers". The movie whas showed in Hollywood and the mainplayer Kotti Chave(3) in the movie got some interest from Hollywood.

(1)Edmund Sparmann - Wikipedia, den fria encyklopedin
(2)Lae - inte bara en stad på Nya Guinea -
(2)P 1 - Wikipedia, den fria encyklopedin
(3)Kotti Chave - Wikipedia, den fria encyklopedin
(4)Wapedia - Wiki: Fredrik Lambert-Meuller
P1 Sparmannjagaren

I am trying to find the name of an experimental failed stol prototype from ww2 which had oversized props mounted at the end of each wing. Props rotated so that airflow was forced under wings by the props. Help please.

Sorry Grampa, I didn't word that very well. I'm after information, if you have it, on a Sparmann project, that never left the drawing board, but it would have looked similar to a F4U Corsair. There is no name mentioned in the article for this project.

Hi Patoruzu. I found a different artist, but suspect it's a Roussel 30...

Late update guys, I found the book :)

Patoruzu was right, it was the Bristol F.11/37 'small', but no type number is recorded, as the 156 was the Beaufighter and the 155 was the rival to the Albemarle, maybe it was the 154? As the name suggests they also submitted a slightly larger version of the same design to meet the spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back