Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I reckon that is the Vought Pirate Carson, though I've only seen photo's from underneath it before (so at least it flew!) :)

I think this was the original:

Attachments

• xF6U-1481NATC.jpg
    xF6U-1481NATC.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 56
I think this was the original:

G'day Verner.
Your photo depicts a Naval Air Test Centre (NATC) Pirate, No.122481, which was used as an electronics test aircraft at Patuxent N.A.S. in August 1950 and accumulated 68 hours before being retired in November 1950 with a total time of 77 hours. The "properties" of the photograph are wrong, it's not an XF6U-1 but a production F6U-1.

Here's the family...

G'day Verner.
Your photo depicts a Naval Air Test Centre (NATC) Pirate, No.122481, which was used as an electronics test aircraft at Patuxent N.A.S. in August 1950 and accumulated 68 hours before being retired in November 1950 with a total time of 77 hours. The "properties" of the photograph are wrong, it's not an XF6U-1 but a production F6U-1.

Here's the family...

Hi Graeme,
thanks for above very interesting comments and for the Pirate family with silhouettes.
carson1934

I don't know if this image is readable.
I found it on the net and don't really know what it is. Is there someone who could enlighten me?
carson1934

Attachments

• Sundland.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
planes_170.jpg
[/IMG]

You can read easily "Phoenix" on the fuselage.
Is this a replica from the movie made in the studios or the delivery of a nightmarish manufacturer?
Your comments are welcome!
carson1934

Is this a replica from the movie made in the studios?

Yes. From the Movie "Flight of the Phoenix." There were two flying props made. One for the ground, take-off and low flying shots which was made by Tallmantz Inc. and was a hodgepodge of various aircraft parts...

...and the other, made for a high flying scene at the end of the movie, was a butchered North American O-47...

Yes. From the Movie "Flight of the Phoenix." There were two flying props made. One for the ground, take-off and low flying shots which was made by Tallmantz Inc. and was a hodgepodge of various aircraft parts...

...and the other, made for a high flying scene at the end of the movie, was a butchered North American O-47...

Thanks very much Graeme you are as usual an unquenchable source of information.....
What about trying to identify my post #2988 of Apr. 23?
Have a nice day
carson1934

Hi Graene I'm sorry bothering you again.
In your post #2923 of 4-10-2009 in reply to Waynos' post #2917 of same date you say that pic represents a Wellington MkII (L4250), a testbed for a 40mm Vickers gun in a dorsal turret with connected paraphernalia.
Now in googling thru the Wellington websites I read more than once that such a prototype was the Wellington Mark VII.
On the other hand the Wellington with ID n. L4250 seems to be a Type 298 Wellington Mark II powered by Rolls Royce Merlin engines of which a beautiful pic exists in 1000aircraftphotos (obviously without turret)[picture enclosed].
Naturally Google isn't by any means a bible however I can't help being a bit confused:
Maybe you could explain. Thanks
carson1934:confused: :confused:

Attachments

• 2621[1].jpg
    2621[1].jpg
    12 KB · Views: 70
No, I don't know the answer I'm looking for one.....:( :( :(
carson1934

Then we're stuffed. Unless you can retrace your steps and provide more clues, the site and the "environment" (eg, pre-war British Ultralights) in which you were looking when you found it, then it's going to be difficult unless someone instantly recognises it.

Now in googling thru the Wellington websites I read more than once that such a prototype was the Wellington Mark VII.

From what I've read Carson no true Mk.VII was ever built. There was one Mk.II that was intended for conversion to Mk.VII standard but in the end became a test-bed for the Rolls-Royce Merlin 60. The contract for 150 examples was cancelled at an early stage.

L4250, the first MK.II prototype was subjected to many armament trials...

Then we're stuffed. Unless you can retrace your steps and provide more clues, the site and the "environment" (eg, pre-war British Ultralights) in which you were looking when you found it, then it's going to be difficult unless someone instantly recognises it.
I'm trying to retrace my steps. For the time being I know that this ultralight was built in the mid thirties and only one prototype flew though the original idea was of producing a large quantity.
I'll try to recover name and company.
carson1934

From what I've read Carson no true Mk.VII was ever built. There was one Mk.II that was intended for conversion to Mk.VII standard but in the end became a test-bed for the Rolls-Royce Merlin 60. The contract for 150 examples was cancelled at an early stage.

L4250, the first MK.II prototype was subjected to many armament trials...

OK thanks it's all clear now
carson1934

Users who are viewing this thread

Back