Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not a flying film in the regular sense, true...:lol:

I did not find the exact type of plane anywhere, but Graeme is certainly right, it should be one of those two Bellancas. An international thing, by the way.An american aircraft from an italian designer, disguised as a french plane...with an english copilot (not to be trusted, i´d say...)...:lol:

Never heard of Frank Clarke either, but I think Chris meant Stan and Ollie. At first I thought it was Paul Mantz flying but this was probably even before his time.

Found a Wikipedia entry for 'Flying Deuces' describing it as a biplane?!

Yes, I arraived at the same article. Never believe a wikipedia article which you haven't written yourself. :D I was looking for "french foreign legion in popular culture" and there was this Laurel Hardy movie. Thank god for the internet.:lol:

If anybody's interested there are a few more pics of the hybrid B-24/B-17 that I posted a while back in posts 145 and 146 in the Feel Free to Ask Me thread in the Pic Request forum. They're closeups of the nose that are stills taken from a video. Couldn't figure out how to link to them directly. Sorry.

Yepp, Vampire trainer is correct. The slits for the cannons are just visible below the orange colour field. It's only the restored nose section on display, so there's no wheels to be seen.

Krabat

The slits for the cannons are just visible below the orange colour field. Krabat

Upon closer inspection you're correct Krabat. I'm old and the eyes are poor!

Here's one I found while looking for the Vampire nose. Nose guns and dorsal turret of what aircraft?...

And for bonus points, identify the following control columns with...

B-17 Fortress
Heinkel 111
Hampden
Wellington

And for an extra extra bonus point...
Which is the MiG 15 and MiG 17?

O.K. I know these pics. I'm sure they are somewhere on my harddisk. But first for the Bonuses:

Blue is the MiG-15 (35 degrees wing sweep), Red the MiG-17 (45 degrees wing sweep).

Column C is He-111 (can be swung to the right), A is a B-17 (must be an early model, found a pic of an underwater wreck, a B-17E). I believe B is from a Hampden, the lever is probably the single fixed .303 gun, so D must be the Wellington.

Krabat

Is there anything on the internet you can't find?

Well, I didn't fing cockpit photos of the Hampden and Wellington showing the control column.

And back to your quiz pic: Is it American? A twin?

Krabat

Beechcraft 18/C45 ???? Lockheed 12 ???? Am I close???

Sorry Wildcat, but...

Definitely the 247. General Chiang Kai-Shek´s personal mount........:D

...it is the Boeing 247Y, a one-off conversion of a 247D for a "Chinese customer". Various sources have different stories. Some say Chiang Kai-Sheck, one says Marshal Chang Hsuech Liang and others "unknown".

This should be easy......

Yeah, right Chris: :|

Early version of the Demoiselle?

No, it is not french. The gentleman who built this, certainly got inspiration from Santos-Dumont, however. This plane won a very important price. And it´s designer and pilot received the second pilot licence ever issued by his country. And got honored this way:

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back