Airfix 1/24 scale Bf109E.....or a bed of thorns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Again THX for all of you :D

My work on wings has been started then. Firstly I had to remove some styrene from upper halves of wings. It is quite important because Airfix made these parts very basic at area of the main landing gear bays.All they offer is something that looks like a hollow. For removing by scraping styrene off I used a scalpel blade with a circled ending.

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 261
  • w1a.jpg
    w1a.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 261
  • w1a1.jpg
    w1a1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 262
THX Mates..appreciate. :D

I was scratching as long as I obtained quite flat surface. Then I sended it with sandpaper of two grades finally.

Attachments

• w1d1.jpg
    w1d1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 244
  • w1d.jpg
    w1d.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 247
  • w1c1.jpg
    w1c1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 237
  • w1c.jpg
    w1c.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 243
  • w1b.jpg
    w1b.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 245
Yes it did.... but not too much.

The same I did to the another top half of the wing. But there appeared a problem. There was an area of thinner layer of styrene at the leading edge. I had to fill it up with the CA Superglue and some plastic shavings.

Attachments

• w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 252
  • w2a.jpg
    w2a.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 233
Herry, Harry.....

Unfortunately a nasty accident happened to me. Using the CA Superglue I didn't noticed my fingers got some of it. Holding the half of wing I dirtied the top of the part.Simply my finger was sticked to that. Fortunately I have had Debonder liquid for unsticking parts attached with CA glues. It is a very nice remover of CA ones as well. No damages to the top was caused and I got it clear. I strongly recommend this liquid .

Attachments

• p2b.jpg
    p2b.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 286
  • p2a.jpg
    p2a.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 314
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 307
  • p1a.jpg
    p1a.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 310
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 260
THX...:D

ALso I corrected slats at leading edges. Airfix masde them raised.But in fact these weren't.So I have sanded them a little bit down and engraved new panel lines.

Attachments

• wing1.jpg
    wing1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 247
  • wing1a.jpg
    wing1a.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 256
  • wing1b.jpg
    wing1b.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 254
Yep..the Debonder is really very useful. :D

I'm sure you remember that the starboard bottom half of the wing was bended quite badly. So the time, I had to face the problem, has come. Here is a couple pics of the part.

Attachments

• ws1b.jpg
    ws1b.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 229
  • ws1a.jpg
    ws1a.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 246
  • ws1.jpg
    ws1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 240
  • ws.jpg
    ws.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 234
Nope.... I used a different way. The first step was to remove of some styrene from its inner surface by scratching. Then I cut out something like an iron-stringer that would run from the bay of the main landing gear wheel to the tip of the wing half.In order to keep the wing line I used a wooden bar and a couple of pegs. A few pics below.....

Attachments

• ws2.jpg
    ws2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 248
  • ws2a.jpg
    ws2a.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 246
  • ws2b.jpg
    ws2b.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread