Alternative German Fighters: Me-209, Me-309, He-100, etc.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

no, my super lanc can carry two grandslam internally at a cruising speed of 380mph with a top speed of 430mph, standard range with 44,000lb payload, 5,000 miles ;)

Messerschmitt 262 HG-3, proyected speed 1050 km/h, armament 4 x MG-213.

hg3.jpg

As with the HG-3 there I think the Me-262 had a lot of potential to be improved and developed further. If she ad recieved better engines alone that would have been a good upgrade that would have made even more superior.

"Isnt that how the Tank was born? aside from the wings."

The tank was created because of the need to crush enemy barbed wire, and a continual track mechanism was found most appropriate. The admiralty saw the Holt tractor as a reasonable test-bed for the idea. But it was only minor in the actual development of the tank - it was just an image for the continual track system.

Tractor-crew.jpg

The Holt Tractor was actually used as an artillery tug during World War I. But as I said, it merely showed the caterpillar track system off.

Good info and good pic.

Off topic but I find it really interesting how the countries that invented the tank, kind of forgot about its advantages and were sort of left behind by German designers. Dont take me wrong, the Brits had some decent designs at the start of WW2 but not many and the French really got left behind. The Germans saw the usefullness of them and took the advantages of them to heart.

Interesting info on a tank design in Imperial Russia in 191

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.sp...action=viewTopic&commentID=3749254&topicPage=

080742f65ad39cdbd.jpg

vezdexod1.jpg

vezdek.gif

sovpre2.jpg

After a month of investigation the cause of track‑shedding was detected and overcome by the installation of cylinders with sprockets in place of those which were formerly smooth. On 20 June 1915, Vezdekhod was once more sent for trials, this time in the presence of an official committee. A series of trenches, pot‑holes, and other obstacles were laid out in the Regimental Barracks Square, across which Vezdekhod performed well. The vehicle also gave a display of turns, easily making rapid manoeuvres in a figure‑eight pattern, and very quickly gathering speed. The results of the test commission were outlined in Report No. 4563:

"It appears that Vezdekhod is a sound and practical idea; it can achieve a speed of 25 Verst/hour. In addition, Vezdekhod can ascend a slope of 40 degrees inclination, cross a trench three metres wide, and a vertical obstacle of 3/4 metre. All significant holes and rough surfaces were crossed wherever tests were carried out. Vezdekhod steers easily during fast motion, and turns very satisfactorily. In all, Vezdekhod crosses terrain and obstacles impassable to conventional motor vehicles."

On 29 December 1915, during winter tests at Petrograd, Vezdekhod attained a speed of 40 Verst per hour, and generally performed very well. In order to deduce the speed which would be attainable by an armoured Vezdekhod, the prototype was ballasted to simulate the weight of the armoured hull‑total weight about 3.5–4 tons. It was further intended to adapt this vehicle to swim, but this part of the work was not completed. The peculiar feature of Vezdekhod was its wide, single track, occupying practically the entire width of the vehicle. Its large supporting surface provided good mobility due to the small ground‑pressure. It also had a high angle of approach for good obstacle ability.

It appears that a great deal of potential was exhibited by Vezdekhod during its final trials, and it should have attracted considerable attention in higher military circles. But this was not so: the Army expressed no interest in continuing work on the project. Even if they had the poor conditions of Russian industry at this time would have made manufacture of this vehicle, in any quantity, impossible. Out of 18,000 Roubles allotted for work on this project by the Government, only 9,660 Roubles were actually spent on the vehicle – the remainder was kept by the inventor. The famous Soviet tank historian Mostovenko has since stated:

"The original drawings of Vezdekhod have not yet been found [1958], but comparatively recently a document was discovered which contained basic drawings for its construction and also a photograph of the vehicle taken at the time of the tests… In spite of the successful results of the trials, work on improving Vezdekhod was discontinued. The Main Military Technical Department did all it could to discourage experimental work, and to frustrate the organization of the industrial production of tanks in Russia. To various suggestions for further developing Vezdekhod, the Chief of the Main Military Technical Department replied with the following typical statement: 'Why should we meddle in this business? What is it to us?' From December 1915 to October 1916 all further work on Vezdekhod was forbidden."

The curse of non - expert officials!

Other early designs:

DiplockPedrailWheel008.jpg

pedrail.gif

Ped´rail`: A device intended to replace the wheel of a self-propelled vehicle for use on rough roads and to approximate to the smoothness in running of a wheel on a metal track. The tread consists of a number of rubber shod feet which are connected by ball-and-socket joints to the ends of sliding spokes. Each spoke has attached to it a small roller which in its turn runs under a short pivoted rail controlled by a powerful set of springs. This arrangement permits the feet to accomodate themselves to obstacles even such as steps or stairs. The pedrail was invented by one B. J. Diplock of London, Eng.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Pedrail

HG Wells predicted the use of pedrail land ships in 1903 in his THE LAND IRONCLADS

http://www.geocities.com/armorhistory/landironclads.htm

Another site

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/ussr/

cheddar cheese said:
A lot of the luft '46 planes had their cockpits far back - why? What advantages would they offer?
Aerodynamics, blends nicely into the fin??? Some racers had the same/simular design, ie the GeeBee.

Btw, the Radinger/Schick 262 book has the canopy in the normal position on the HG III, but might be mislabeled. Nice 3 view drawing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back