Alternative German Fighters: Me-209, Me-309, He-100, etc.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well....yes , but the spirit is the same.

palestra_re2006_big.jpg

The Reggiane RE 2006 should have been an "exceptional" aeroplane. A fighter built on the powerful Daimler Benz DB 603 12 cylinder engine, capable of developing a power of 1750 hp. It was designed in 1943, removed in time to escape the bombardment on the Reggiane aircraft factory in Reggio Emilia and transferred to a gymnasium in Correggio, where a group of technicians remained incognito. They continued with the construction of the prototype also managing to prevent its destruction at the hands of the partisans

It was just a possibility, the Corsaro was never developed further than drawings.
However, the wings, apart the central section, were the same of Re-2005, and even the fuselage was very similar (Caproni and Reggiane had very close relactions), so, it's developement could have been rapid.

DogW

cheddar cheese said:
Oh for gods sake CB, what do I tell my parents now?! :rolleyes:

;)

Tell them that you going to need some serius medical treatment. :shock:

Talking about twin-fuselage...

Interesting Dogwalker, I see the project of the Corsaro before but in the full twin boom configuration.

ca380.gif

Caproni Bergamaschi's CA 380 Corsaro (Corsair) positioned the pilot in the starboard fuselage boom. Two Daimler Benz DB 603s of 1,750 HP were used to give a projected speed of 400 MPH at 25,525 feet, a range of 1,500 miles and a ceiling of 34,450 feet. Loaded weight was 16,383 lbs. much (lighter than the P-82's 25,000 pounds). A span of 52.5 feet and a length of 39.0 feet was also similar to that of the P-82. Armament planned was four 20 mms in a fairing under the center wing section with two 12.7 mm SAFAT MGs in the outer wing panels.

The CA 380 was not very unusual considering the SM 92 that had already flown. It might have proved a tough customer in combat.

And we have the very P-38ish SM.91...
91.gif

sm91.gif

Designed in 1941, it had a crew of 2. A pair of 1,475HP DB 605A-1s powered it to 363MPH at 22,960 feet. It could climb to 19,680 feet in 8.5 minites and had a ceiling of 36,090 feet. Range was 994 miles on internal fuel but a 218 gallon drop tank could extend that.

sm92-.gif

sm92.gif

The sister ship in the S.M.92 was a bit different. There was no fuselage nacelle as the familiar P-38 has. The pilot and gunner sat asymmetrically in the port fuselage. Caproni had a similar design called the Ca 380 with the crew in the starboard one.

Two DB 605A-1s of 1,495 HP each nestled in the fuselages. Performance was not bad with a 382 MPH maximum speed seen at 24,935 feet and a 2,800 FPM climb rate, which led to a ceiling of 39,370 feet. The wingspan measured 60.9 feet and proposed armament was heavy with two 20 mm MG 151s in the center wing while another fired through the starboard airscrew hub each with 300 rounds; four 12.7 mm Breda SAFAT MGs below the engines (2 per side) with 350 RPG and finally a barbette midway across the horizontal tail plane with another that was remote controlled by the rear gunner!

Italy's early demise in the war ended further development.

4- 220-lb or 353-lb bombs or a single 1100-lb bomb could be carried. As with most Italian fighters armament wa heavy. 3- 20mm Mg 151 cannon with 300 RPG mounted in the central nacelle with 2 more carrying 300 RPG in the wing roots.

Span was 64.6 feet and lebngth was 43.5 feet.

I haven't read every post in this thread but in place of the single-engined 109/190 I think only the Heinkel He 100 could have carried out the job that they did. This is pretending that there was no Reichsluftfahrtministerium prejudice against Ernst Heinkel and favoritism to Willy Messerschmitt.

The He-100 would be the best interceptor of all the time... if they allowed to continue his development , for example in April of 1942 there was available the junker Jumo 213A of 1700 hp, with this engine the little He-100 would be a real rocket, also it need to introduce some modifications like reinforced landing gear, and heavier armament (Mauser cannons, 13 mm Mgs), all of that very plausible to do.

heinkel-he113.jpg

------------

A hipotetical combat bettween the Macchi Mc-205 Bifusoliera and a P-82A

rmc205b.jpg

We posted about th 1076 already in the 4th page of this topic , I posted this and Adler posted aditional information also ( We are so damn good :) )

CharlesBronson said:
The last evolution of the heinkel He-100/113, was this, the Heinkel P.1076.

Equipped with 3x 30mm, and like Arado above powered by the powerful Mercedes DB-603G of 1900 hp, coupled with 3 blade double counterrotating propellers.

The projected speed was in excess 770 Km/h. Funny thing this aircraft returned to the evaporation cooling sistem.

ao17669cc.jpg

ao17641kr.jpg

http://www.luft46.com/heinkel/hep1076.html

Whoaa, I missed that earlier. But there you are. It's just the prejudice against Ernst Heinkel and in favor of Willy Messerschmitt by certain member of the Air Ministry was so strong they lost what could have been an excellen fighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back