Another very interesting Flag from Downunder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aussie

Recruit
Hi Shinpachi,
It's Greg here from Australia again and I've been lucky enough to find another flag similar to the one you did an incredible job translating for me about a year and a half ago.
I was wondering if you would be able to try and translate this one I just received from a gentleman in Melbourne. He said he bought it of a British veteran many decades ago with a very nice type 98 officer sword which was an old blade that had been remounted in military handle and fittings.
I'm thinking this flag may have belonged to the person who owned the sword going on the amount of signatures on this example he must of been a person with many friends or possibly someone of rank or importance. I would dearly love to find out who this flag belonged to if possible.
I have rarely seen a flag with so many signatures and well wishes but unfortunately as you can see some have been lost to time due to damage. Sadly it does look to have a bit of blood spatter on it so I'm don't think the original owner would of survived the war. I feel sorry for the brave men who once carried these into battle and take great pride preserving and displaying them as so to keep their name alive and not let them be tucked away in a draw and forgotten about.
I will try and post several close ups of each section as some of the writing is very small and faint.
I intend to frame it as I did with Shibata's flag as soon as I can to help preserve it from further damage.
I will be fascinated to see who this belonged to I hope your able to help.
I look forward to your reply, Thank you very much, Greg.
P.S Terrific forum gentleman I love getting the updates of the latest posts and images it's great reading.

Attachments

• IMG_4615.JPG
    IMG_4615.JPG
    743.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    591.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4634.JPG
    IMG_4634.JPG
    670.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4621.JPG
    IMG_4621.JPG
    698.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    630.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4613.JPG
    IMG_4613.JPG
    866.3 KB · Views: 134
Welcome to the forum, Greg.

There seem few clues to ID details but this flag was given to 中野勝巳 (Mr Nakano, Katsumi) as you would read it on the third line from the right.

His first name includes a letter "巳 (mi)" which means "birth year of snake" of the twelve horary signs.
The last snake year for his birth was 1917.
At the time, Japanese healthy men were enlisted in the army, if not volunteered to the navy, at age of 20 (19 from 1944).
He was to be enlisted in 1937.
Second Sino-Japanese War broke out in the same year.
He would have been sent to the front in China and, then, transferred to Guadalcanal in 1942 to leave the flag.

Hi Shinpachi,
I can not thank you enough for doing this for me the information is truely fascinating to me.
Nakano must of witnessed some horrible battles with that kind of history and this flag is the only one I have that I know where it was left and Guadalcanal was a very famous and momentous battle.You have really helped bring this flag to life for me I very much appreciate it.
One thing I did notice Shinpachi about the flag is the strip of material that has been neatly torn from the flags end section looks very similar in size to the strips of cloth you see on serendered swords which the soldiers would write their name on and tie to the swords hanger ring as so it could be returned to them which we know never happened.
I do wonder if Nakano did infact survive the war and did this to label his sword before handing it over.
Unfortunately the first flag you identified for me being Shibata Fukimatsu's still has no other information about him on the internet there just seems to be no way to know where he had been or where his flag was left it's such a shame but maybe one day something may turn up we can only hope.
I know it's a big ask and due to the way the signatures and wishes are positioned on Nakano's flag it's probably not possible but if ever you get the time I would love to know the other people's names and wishes that are on his flag if possible.
I have attached some pictures of Shibatas flag now framed by me and on display in my dining with some type 95 NCO swords. Shibata will now have a friend with him as I will frame and hang Nakanos flag on the opposite wall I'm sure they will have some stories to tell.
Once again I really appreciate you taking the time to do the translation you do an amazing job,
Thank you, Greg.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    502.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    676.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 117

Users who are viewing this thread