Bf109G-6, Wilhelm Batz

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,

I've this photo from a film found on the net: Filmarchiv | Agentur Karl Höffkes
From 10:49:53:00
Batz W.-Bf109G6, III-jg52, été 1944.JPG

Apparently, this Bf109G-6 was flown by Wilhelm Batz in July 1944. It seems that the rudder is painted white with, maybe, what looks like victory markings on it... But, if it's victory markings, I think there should be more because when Batz took command of the III. Gruppe in April 1944, his number of victories was 120 !
Any opinion to enlighten me please?

TIA
Stéph

The Bf 109 looks like the G-6 variant with gunpods under wings. This can be noticed in the enlarged screenshot below.

bf109g6_b1.jpg

As to the rudder ... the entire sequence of its taking off shows this part of a quite dark tone comparing to the white at the LW crosses and the spiral on the spinner. However the colour is lighter than the lightest paint of the fuselage. Therefore I would say it was of the yellow rather than the white.
As far as these victory markings are concerned... The dark spot there looks quite square of regular edges. But it may seem to be more rounded at the top. You have mentioned he had 120 victories and there should be more than it can be noticed in the pic. Not exactly, a such number could have been marked in another way .. the laurel strand with the number 100 inside and 20 victory bars. This could explain the more round top edge of the dark spot on the rudder and its not to large size.

bf109g6_a1.jpg

bf109g6_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back