Brendan 'Paddy' Finucane Spitfire Mk Vb.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's an old thread but I found that...
It seems that BL822 wore the shamrock too
View attachment 606620
Note the demarcation of camouflage under the nose

Thanks le_steph40, I was amazed to see this old thread getting a new lease of life! I wanted to check my facts before replying and have now done so.

The aircraft above is indeed BL 822. This was a replacement aircraft, prepared by the pilots of 602 Sqn for S/Ldr Finucane after his clash with two Focke-Wulfs on February 20 1942. During the battle, where Finucane was accompanied by P/O Lewis as his No 2, his aircraft BL 548 sustained damage from machine gun fire and Finucane was wounded in his thigh and suffered extensive blood loss before safely landing back at Kenley. Brendan was hospitalised and, along with convalescent leave, didn't return to the squadron until March 13th. In his absence BL 548 was sent for extensive repairs and then reassigned to 452 Sqn - Finucane's old unit.

It was during this period of leave that 602 Sqn prepared BL 822 in his personal markings and code. However, according to the Squadron Operational Record Books (ORBS) and Finucane's log books, He only ever test-flew BL 822 once, on March 19, for an Air and Cannon test. There is no notation as to what the problem was, if any, but he was known, by his ground crews, to be quite fussy as to the state of his aircraft and perhaps, this one just didn't feel right. BL 822 served with 602 Sqn only until 9/3/42 when it was transferred to 350 Sqn.

The Spitfire in your second post is definitely BM 124. This is part of a series of photos taken by a Life Magazine photographer at Kenley on 26 March 1942. You're right about Queen Salote - it's not on the cowling at this time.

BM124 was a presentation aircraft assigned specially to S/Ldr Finucane rather than the squadron generally - something very rare indeed. It was delivered on 14 March 1942 and Finucane more or less flew it continuously until 18 June '42, when he hit the ground with a wingtip while landing. The aircraft was badly damaged and, although returned to the squadron after extensive repair, was never again flown by Finucane.

It had been presented by Queen Salote and the people of Tonga. Sometime, probably during early June, a photo shoot was arranged by the MOI for propaganda purposes and distribution to the media in Tonga. It was for this, I believe, that the 'Queen of Salote' title was painted on the cowling. This, as it turned out, was incorrect. It should have read 'Queen Salote' The error was picked up by someone in the MOI in a memo dated July 1942. What happened then was that the 'of' was crudely scraped off the negatives. Three photos of this session are still held in the IWM collection and the 'retouching' is very obvious in all three. However, It's possible that BM 124 was flying with the incorrect title until the error was spotted.

Sorry to have been so long winded but I hope that this helps explain why the slogan doesn't appear on all photographs of BM 124 and, to be quite honest, I've only even seen it on the three photographs taken for propaganda purposes.

Gerry

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I thought it's the best way to add this link to this discussion

Looks really interesting, with decent aerial scenes.

Seems that my pal Jan Zumbach makes at least a cameo appearance!

trailer.jpg

Hi Guys,
Interesting to see this thread getting a revival. I haven't been following the forum as much as I might have and have only spotted it now. I had a bit of a rollercoaster year health-wise in 2022 and am really only getting back to normal since January. Hopefully it's all behind me now, and thank you Andy for your good wishes.

As for the new film, I certainly would like to see it and it's unfair to judge it on the basis of the trailer. However I have worries that Finucane might be portrayed as 'A Fighting' Oirish Broth Of A Boyo' that would be absolutely contrary to the person I found in my researches on him. There was a memoir written shortly after his death called "Paddy" Finucane - A Memoir, by James Reynolds, who I think was Irish-American. In it Finucane is depicted as the Oirish Boyo bestriding Ireland and the War and it was total fiction and absolute bullsh*t. It brought an excoriating response from Brendan's family with his father describing the book, in a letter to the Air Ministry, as "...this so called 'memoir' contains many untruths and completely misrepresents my son, in thought, in word and in deed. Every page is saturated with lies and it is perfectly obvious that this person (Reynolds) has been using his imagination extensively...". I just hope that the film makers weren't using this as a reference when preparing their screenplay!

I'm also in agreement with you about CGI combat sequences. Too often WW2 aircraft perform like Star Wars fighters. I'm thinking in particular about two recent films; Pearl Harbor and Battle of Midway, that I still have nightmares about.

Gerry

Nice to hear from you Gerry and happy to hear that you appear to be on the mend. Thanks you for helping to set the record straight on Finucane. It's very impotant to challenge fabrications like this. I do however fear that the movie will go down the sensational path as have so many others.

All the best to you and Jan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back