Britain walks from India in 1947 without partition.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Had India not been partitioned how is post-WW2 geopolitics impacted? Would we see the US, USSR and China trying to fight for factions and control and what role does aviation play?

im+Population+Of+India+in+1941+and+Princely+States.png

Last edited:
Russia most certainly would if only on general principles. I don't see India being a primary area of Kremlin interest, at that time. Mostly useful idiots infecting various factions, methinks. China would be very interested. I don't know much effort Mao would be able to spare. I'm not sure of the time frame. I believe Mao might have been preoccupied with Chiang, warlords (and armed Japanese troops still floating around?). Again, I'm not sure of the time frame.
Would the Red Chinese have American aircraft yet? Would the RAF or RAAF have supplied/ditched any airplanes to India?

But if the topic offends you, why not just ignore it?
Because the British didnt partition India, partition was demanded by Mohammad Ali Jinnah and others, the British just agreed to decide where the border would be, and that is politics not military stuff or aviation at all.

That doesn't answer the question. But no matter, you do you.

I think the rest of us will see the potential for a good discussion on how aviation would play a role in what becomes of India.
I wasnt answering a question I was stating the historical fact that the British did not partition India.

I don't know much effort Mao would be able to spare. I'm not sure of the time frame. I believe Mao might have been preoccupied with Chiang, warlords (and armed Japanese troops still floating around?). Again, I'm not sure of the time frame. Would the Red Chinese have American aircraft yet? Would the RAF or RAAF have supplied/ditched any airplanes to India?
The Chinese Civil War is still fighting for another 18-24 months or so. I wonder if Chiang could get any help from India, and if the lack of partition makes this more or less likely to come in time to help the ROC forces? There's also the newly independent (as of Jan 1948) Burma in the way.

"According to the available historical study, this trip of Generalissimo Chiang was very closely related to the final independence and liberty of India four years later, which had already been under almost one century of colonial rule of Great Britain. First, during his India visit, Generalissimo Chiang, being in the position of a friendly expostulator, openly appealed to the British ally to grant the Indian people their real political authority: "Great Britain should give real political authority to the Indian people as soon as possible without waiting for a demand from the people. Of course, India's participation in this war is striving for the victory of the democratic camp against aggression, but it also is vitally related to the liberty of India herself. Objectively, I consider this to be the most enlightened policy, and it will certainly not be harmful but be advantageous to Great Britain."2 At the same time, Generalissimo Chiang had cabled President Roosevelt of the United States, entreating him to make use of his influence to persuade Prime Minister Churchill to take action."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back