Can anyone help with this ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kwai

Recruit
Jan 6, 2024
Hi
Am Kwai new to the group, I have a few things I was hoping someone out there could help with, the first one is this.
Long shot would anyone be able to identify this, I have no leads as this was found and given to myself, I have tried and tried but just cannot work this out, any help would be awesome.
thanks
20240105_190705.jpg
20240105_190643.jpg

Camloc fasteners point to it being American. DC-3/C-47 maybe?

Or C-119?

Incidentally I'd give it a wet media blast: a panel that complex will have numbers all over it!

Camloc's didn;t come into being until 1959, so post Korea era aircraft. The use of an egg shaped access panel and pulled rivets screams UK built.....

Camloc's didn;t come into being until 1959, so post Korea era aircraft.

Not so: they've been all over the C-130 since Day 1. I doubt you'll find Camlocs on a UK aircraft. EDIT: according to Howmet's website, the brand has been in existence "more than 80 years", so WW2 is a possibility.

Originally manufactured in the USA, in 1959, Camloc started selling quick release fasteners through a new location in Kelkheim, Germany. Later the same year the Kelkheim location also began manufacturing the Camloc range for the European market. Camloc now has more than 60 years of innovative engineering in Germany alone.

Per Howmet's website.

So now we've ascertained that Camlocs might go back as far as WW2, are there any lightly-stamped numbers on the inside of the panel? I'm assuming a transport type, so C-119, C-82 or possibly C-47? (the patent goes back to May 1942, so later C-47 types might fit (C-117, C-53 etc))

99% sure it is British, construction looks very like aircraft I've worked on - late WW2 or 1950's. This panel is most likely from the underside of the aircraft's nose. External colour is probably matt Black = bomber.

Not sure, given the presence of camloc fasteners and receptacles. British types of the 40s and 50s would use Dzus or Oddie fasteners.

Identity of the airbase in Kent may help in determining the types of aircraft known to have operated from there, and when, although this would not account for "visiting" aircraft types of course.

Well Manston would be the obvious one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back