Who can help me identify this engine, it was recovered from the north sea.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"My first thought was a sleeve valve Bristol."

There is the little problem of the utter lack of sleeve valves....

My guess is: Early Lockheed Hudson. (not illustrated).

But check with the guy who is building a 3D model of an R-1820.

DSCF3483.jpg

It might be a Bristol Perseus or Mercury radial; the Mercury was used in several aircraft, including the Skua, Blenheim, Bolinbroke, Martinet, Master, Sea Otter, Fokker DXXI, and Lysander. Best I can do- sorry!
Mike

It might be a Bristol Perseus or Mercury radial; the Mercury was used in several aircraft, including the Skua, Blenheim, Bolinbroke, Martinet, Master, Sea Otter, Fokker DXXI, and Lysander. Best I can do- sorry!
Mike
Definitely not Bristol. As already determined, it is HIGHLY likely to be an R-1820 from B-17, Hudson or DC-3/C-47

I still don't think it's R1820:
1. The front case in the R1820 is rounded and does not have the angular shape as seen in the picture.
2. The R1820 does not have the studs protruding from the front case either.
3. The R1820 has the push rods lifters located in the front of the front case. There is also a boss for the propeller governor. They are nowhere to be seen in the mystery engine's photo.
4. The fins on the cylinders do not fit those on the R1820.
5. The gear under the prop makes me think that the prop adjustment/control was done by some kind of a mechanical (electrical?) system. This kind of systems were never installed on an R1820.
I still think it's a British / French / German engine.

1. The front case in the R1820 is rounded and does not have the angular shape as seen in the picture.
3. The R1820 has the push rods lifters located in the front of the front case. There is also a boss for the propeller governor. They are nowhere to be seen in the mystery engine's photo.
5. The gear under the prop makes me think that the prop adjustment/control was done by some kind of a mechanical (electrical?) system. This kind of systems were never installed on an R1820.
!, the front case was long gone as it was light alloy
2, the studs would have been inside the front case
3.The timing mechanism has fallen away after the front case dissolved
4. The fins DO match the R-1820
5. The prop control is typical Hamilton Standard oil actuated. Very much used on the R-1820

If you compare photos, the bolt patterns on the cylinders match the R-1820 perfectly and you can clearly see the bolt heads / plugs in between the cylinders

It maybe from a Lockheed 14 or Hudson.
"The Model 14-WF62 was produced for the export market. It was powered by a pair of Wright Cyclone SGR-1820-F62 radials, each rated at 900 hp for takeoff and 760 hp at 5800 feet. The rudders were modified with static balances to prevent tail flutter. 21 examples of this version were built, with 11 going to KLM and KNILM beginning in February of 1938, eight to British Airways, and the last two going to Aer Lingus in Ireland in May of 1939."

The first 350 (?) Hudson Is used Wright R-1820-G102A engines and all were fitted with 3 blade, two position props.
The Hudson II's got constant speed props.
The Hudson III's got GR-1820-G205A engines with constant speed props.
Hudson IVs and later got P & W R-1830 engines.

Once again, here's the photo that I posted in Post #12. Pretty crazy that the 1820 matches bolt for bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_20230816_163947ab.jpg
    IMG_20230816_163947ab.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
The case does not look like a R1820 one nor are the fins on the cylinders. I'd guess it is a British or German engine. See if you can remove a bolt and check the thread - mm or inch.

A steel crankcase pretty much limits it to an R-1830 or one particular French engine - can't remember which one though.

All British radials had alloy crankcases and, as far as I know, same applies to German engines.

Both the cylinder finning and bolt pattern are pure Wright and the only engines I have worked on with bolts instead of studs and nuts are Wright eigines.

Not one part of that engine looks like any Bristol engine I worked on - Pegasus Mercury Perseus and Hercules

Last edited:
Definitely not Bristol. As already determined, it is HIGHLY likely to be an R-1820 from B-17, Hudson or DC-3/C-47

Not from any twin except possibly the early DC-2's and possibly an early Hudson though all the civil Lockheed's by then had hydromatic props so that rules them out.

The crankcase and cylinder mounting bolts make this a Wright R-1820 cyclone. Could be off several aircraft types that operated over the North Sea.

Joining in on the chorus who think it's some R-1820 variant.

The four bolts in a row configuration seen on the wrecked engine was used on the R-1820 G series engines. And the angled/bolted part at the top of the edges of the crank case looks exactly like that of an R-1820.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back