Identify this engine? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
This has been sitting outside a local auto restoration shop for the past year or two. I can't find any ID tags on it, any idea what it might be?
1688422526048.png

I'm with Cammerjeff - I'd guess a R-1820-G series judging by the cooling fins. The early F series had rather thick fins. The later H series had crazy thin fins.
Nice E-type in the background. I have a soft spot for wire wheels.

Last July I posted a photo of a radial engine sitting at a local classic auto repair shop and asked if anyone knew what it was. Got a few responses but nobody was sure. I went back and found the tag, it turned out to be a Polish engine. You find the strangest things in the strangest places!

Attachments

• Polish radial engine.jpg
    Polish radial engine.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 1
Nice. It is an Polish made by the WSK Kalisz, the Russian M-62 power plant based on the Wright R-1820 . The ASz-62IR-16 was used for Li-2, An-2, PZL M18 Dromader, PZL-106 AS Kruk. Because it was made by the Kalisz factory it means it is a post-war unit. They started assembling of the engines in 1961.

Be interesting to find out how it got there.

As memo serves, the Polish made agricultural planes were quite popular in the USA, especially the PZL M18 Dromader. About 200 was exported to the country . Also to Canada as a firefighting plane. So IMHO that's one of the used there engines. Also a couple of the An-2 can be found in the USA.

I wonder about radial engine availability/continued existence. Are "R-1820" clones still being manufactured (not rebuilt)?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back