CASU #2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Larry Carlson

Recruit
Sep 20, 2023
Hello everyone, I am Larry Carlson, a new member here.

I am looking for information on CASU #2.

My father, Carl Carlson, enlisted in the Navy in October 1943. He went through Recruit Training; AMM School "A" at Navy Pier, Chicago; then ABATU in Norfolk. After school he was assigned to CASU #2 and sent to NAS Barber's Point, Hawaii. His rating was AMM3c and was promoted to AMM2c in October 1945. He was in Hawaii from September 1944 to November 1945. He mustered out in December 1945.

The Location Reports say that CASU #2 was at Barber's Point from its inception through the end of the war. This is one of the precious few fragments I have been able to discover about CASU #2. Is anyone able to furnish furnish information? Alternatively, is anyone able to point me to other sources?

One more question. In my father's personnel file I found Notices of change of rate, all promotions. For example, the file designates his rating as AMM3c(T) and his promotion to AMM2c(T). I understand this to be Aviation Machinist's Mate, Third Class to Aviation Machinist's Mate, Second Class. What does the (T) stand for?

The Bluejacket's Manual, 12th ed., 1944, indicates Aviation Machinist's Mate specialties. These rating are designated with a letter after AMM. For example, AMMC means aviation carburetor mechanic. There are four other letter designations: F for flight engineer; H for hydraulic mechanic; I for instrument mechanic; and P for propeller mechanic. No "T" specialty.

Any help will be appreciated!

Lastly, if this request has been posted to the wrong "thread" then please tell me where I should post it. I am not a computer person.

Larry Carlson

My father's promotion from Seaman, second class to AMM3c(T) happened after he had been in the Navy for 9 months and had just graduated from AMM school. It strikes me as odd that the Navy would consider him Temporary Personnel at that point.

It would have to be some really tortured logic but not impossible. My search will continue.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back