ChatGPT faces defamation lawsuits after making up stories about people

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Although I'll never find it, there was a 1934 patent granted for an aircraft based on the maple seed. The inventor had seen maple seeds flying and designed an airplane based on the seed. I have always wondered how the inventor planned to prevent airsickness from the spiral motion.

The only areas where performance is better are those such as search engines because data can be pattern matched faster than a human can do it.

The data itself is the result of human thinking. That is what I meant. As far as designing new things - that requires ideas and thought processes
which the human brain has but a computer does not.

Using something like ChatGPT to generate an answer and have it come out so wrong is the end result of the lack of thought processes.
"...lack of thought processes." A very prominent human charasteric.

To enforce this, wouldn't you require one of the following...

1. Reprogram Chat-GPT
2. Engage in real-time censorship

... if not both?

FOX had an extended interview with Elon Musk the other night. He seemed to be quite serious in his belief in the need for government oversight/regulation in order to prevent harm (in various forms to society) from AI. His view seemed to be that AI will harm society if we are not very careful.

FOX had an extended interview with Elon Musk the other night. He seemed to be quite serious in his belief in the need for government oversight/regulation in order to prevent harm (in various forms to society) from AI. His view seemed to be that AI will harm society if we are not very careful.
Elon Musk often says one thing than does another. He's largely useless to listen to.

Regardless it was stated that 50% of A.I. researchers assigned a probability of 10% that A.I. could get outside their control and end humanity if I recall: Even if the others assigned a probability of 0% that's still a probability of 5%.

That might sound low, but consider that with commercial aircraft, a 1/1,000,000,000 odds of failure of a critical component is the acceptable standard. While a lower threshold if I recall, the scientists at the Manhattan project assumed 1/3000 was the odds that a fission reaction would trigger a runaway thermonuclear reaction in the hydrogen in water and the nitrogen of the atmosphere (something which would vaporize earth). Those odds are bold to bet a whole planet on (and the only one known beyond the shadow of a doubt at the time to have any life on it), but that's way less than 1/20.

I more and more believe that AI will be the downfall of human creativity. They can now fake any artist and pretend it's new material. For instance in music, so they will be able to produce music by computer and flood the market with it without anyone knowing if it's real or not. Anyone can sound like anyone. It'll be worse than the dreaded autotune.
And this will be true for any art or human creativity, not just music.

As an example here a "new song by Nirvana", actually fully created by AI, lyrics, chord progressions, melody and of course Kurt's voice. I find it truly unsettling, it's almost real and I'm afraid of what they can do in 5 years time.

View: https://youtu.be/8UfZjMsjmG0

I more and more believe that AI will be the downfall of human creativity.
Or just humanity as a whole...
They can now fake any artist and pretend it's new material. For instance in music, so they will be able to produce music by computer and flood the market with it without anyone knowing if it's real or not. Anyone can sound like anyone. It'll be worse than the dreaded autotune.
Plus it wouldn't be hard to justify all sorts of cynical excuses to curb or prevent such content.

For instance in music, so they will be able to produce music by computer and flood the market with it without anyone knowing if it's real or not.

Who is the "they" in the above? Given that AI-generated works cannot be copyrighted in the U.S., where is the benefit from "flooding the market" with AI music? Without copyright protection, and the exclusivity it provides, how will anyone earn revenue from AI music? It's one thing if someone makes some AI music for their own use, it's another entirely for a business or person who's looking to make money from their creation.

Regardless it was stated that 50% of A.I. researchers assigned a probability of 10% that A.I. could get outside their control and end humanity if I recall: Even if the others assigned a probability of 0% that's still a probability of 5%.

Meh, I'm skeptical of such prognostication. There's nothing existing currently which comes close to actual artificial intelligence.

Personally, I tend to think it's people suffering from Frankenstein complex. Shelley's story casts a long shadow in the collective memory.

Who is the "they" in the above? Given that AI-generated works cannot be copyrighted in the U.S., where is the benefit from "flooding the market" with AI music? Without copyright protection, and the exclusivity it provides, how will anyone earn revenue from AI music? It's one thing if someone makes some AI music for their own use, it's another entirely for a business or person who's looking to make money from their creation.
"They" would be the streaming service I think. They would hugely benefit. Copyright is of no consequence.

They could even provide the song-making as a service. The client answers a couple of questions and they get their personal music playlist generated for them.

Meh, I'm skeptical of such prognostication. There's nothing existing currently which comes close to actual artificial intelligence.

Personally, I tend to think it's people suffering from Frankenstein complex. Shelley's story casts a long shadow in the collective memory.
Even highly tested and controlled technology can go awry - self-driving cars that run over pedestrians and dive into emergency vehicles is completely outside of the programming perimeters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back