**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109G-4/R6 "Yellow 11" of 13.(Slow)/JG 52 Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys, and you're right. I may take another run over the edsges on the right wing.

Now worries on the overpainted ferry marks Igor - all in due course!

Thanks Vic

As promised, I'm posting an update with the below 5 pics showing overall top quarter views, underside, nose detail and insignia detail. All of the masks have been removed revealing the 11's, theater band, staffel dash, the dots on the nose and the slightly controversial yellow bottom engine cowl.

In the overall top quarter views, you can see that I "waved-up" some of the edges of the splinter patterns on the starboard wing. I'm a little suspicious of the paint as it didn't dry flat, perhaps because I made it a lot thinner than before. I'm not worried though as the difference should disappear once the gloss and flat coats are applied. Also finished here are the surfaces under the LE slats, which were masked and pained 02. A little touch up is needed on the port wing as the 02 got under the mask. (EDIT: I wonder if these areas should be bare metal - anyone know?)

On the underside, the wheel wells were masked and painted 02 with no issues. Also done in 02 was the inside of the slats.

The stickum on the nose took a little pursuading initially to adhere to the smooth paint surface and now that I wanted to remove them, some left a bit of residue which can be seen in the close-up of the nose. I'll need to clean these up before applying a coat of Future. The dots turned out a bit bigger than they were supposed to ut I think the effect is acceptable. Just seen in the close-up of the nose along the leading edge is the wavey demarcation between top and bottom camo. A bit of orange peeling here needs to be sanded down a tad.

The masked 11's, band, and dashes came out nicely and I only have to apply the black outline decals to clean these up. Should look pretty good. The patches for the ferry marks were hand painted with thinned 75 and I included the splatter just behind the blanked out 'R' that is evident in the pics of the real plane.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it's gone so far. Yet to decide is whether or not to keep the yellow cowl and whether or not to shade the area between the white fuselage cross edges with gray 75. I'm leaning toward doing that but will study the pics more closely.

Thanks very much for your interest and compliments guys. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• 110418 Overall 10 Oclock.jpg
    110418 Overall 10 Oclock.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 110418 Overall Underside.jpg
    110418 Overall Underside.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 110418 Close up 11.jpg
    110418 Close up 11.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 110418 Dots Close up.jpg
    110418 Dots Close up.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 110418 Overall 2 Oclock.jpg
    110418 Overall 2 Oclock.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Bl**dy lovely Andy! I think the chicken pox on the nose looks fine mate - and who's going to measure the spots anyway?!

Exceptional work Andy! Everything turned out great. Especially the fuselage numbers and spotted cowl. As for the crosses and underside cowl... I leave it to you. We can only make our best guess based on the available photos (same as the authors of the profiles probably did).

That something else Andy and I think the numbers came out very well. If that stickum is the same as Blu Tack, I find that just rolling a ball of Blu Tack over the remaining bits a few times, removes it all.

Thanks all.

Igor, I think I'll make the cross interior RLM 75 but I'll leave the cowl in yellow, assumption being it was painted after the shot of the nose was taken - who's to prove me wrong! Besides, I like the yellow.

Vic, thanks for the tip. I was going to go out to get blue tack for the dot masks but the weather was crap and I had this white stuff which is similar.

Last night I finished up the oleos, having added the brake lines and boots, only to discover that I mixed up the wheel covers left to right. So now I'll need to carefully remove them although I hold little hope that the brake lines don't come off as well. Pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back