**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109G-4/R6 "Yellow 11" of 13.(Slow)/JG 52 Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone.

Igor, I was so far going with the profiles but am now looking at the photos more closely to get the camo patterns planned. I hadn't really looked at the fuselage cross that closely yet but will now. The one profile make a point of noting that the cross was non standard. And, yes, I decided to go with the yellow cowl, although the one pic, perhaps taken at a different time, clearly shows just a 76 cowl.

Vic, I use Tamiya tape mostly but you'll also see normal, cheap maskling tape at locations away from the masked edges to guard against overspray.

Sounds like a good plan,though to be honest more then one picture show it with 76 cowl. However, it's nothing strange if aircraft appearance was changing over the time. Either way gonna look great when finished. :D

Last edited:
What other pictures do you have of this plane? I think I've only seen the one of yellow 11 where you can see the cowl.

What are your thoughts on the cross? Having looked carefully through your Letka 13 thread, it appears it there arguably appear to be crosses on various a/c with blotchy patterns where the black would normally be. I know it was quite common to gray out the black in LW units so I'd have no qualms about doing that. The profile with the yellow dots shows the cross interior grayed in - but then it also shows yellow spots. Hmmm.

Andy, I have posted all pictures of "Yellow 11" I could find back on the page one of this thread... These are the two pictures of an aircraft identified as "Yellow 11" where you can clearly see the underside cowling...

Attachments

• 11_04.jpg
    11_04.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 11_02.jpg
    11_02.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 71
And here's again the picture that is the source of different interpretations for color profiles. Looking at this picture I would say your guess for the underside cowling is as good as mine. Fuselage cross looks full gray/white one to me here...

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 248
Thanks Igor. Yes, I have those same pics from other posts. I though maybe you had another that you were referring to. There's definitely one pic showing no yellow, but you also can't see the theater band nor the wing tips in either one. I'll take a look at other pics of planes in the Gruppe and see if there's anything defintive there. I can always make the cowl 76 if that's the consensus.

Here's a pic of what I spent the last couple of hours doing. I decided to mask the dots using small rolls of stickum. And yes, I've already made sure they don't blow off with the airbrush!

Attachments

• 110416 Dot Masks.jpg
    110416 Dot Masks.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 103
Looking good Andy. That must have been painstaking work. Imagine if you had to do it in 1/72 scale... :shock::)

Thanks everyone. Slaterat, I can't take credit for the idea though. The method was used by the guy in the link in post #111.

Thanks David.

The basic camo has now been applied and the paint is curing. The following 3 pics start with he RLM 75 sprayed on and end up with the finished product from both sides with the RLM 74 applied. If you're wondering about the wavey edge on port wing splinter, there is a clear view of this in one of the photos of Yellow 11 taken from behind (attached at bottom). Oddly, the edges of the other splinters appear straight.

Attachments

• 110417 Camo Started.jpg
    110417 Camo Started.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 110417 Camo Finished 1.jpg
    110417 Camo Finished 1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 110417 Camo Finished 2.jpg
    110417 Camo Finished 2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 11_01.jpg
    11_01.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 87
Very nice work Andy. Have another look at the pic of the actual aircraft though - the starboard wing also has a wavy edge to the splinter, though perhaps not as pronounced. This was the 'Erla' factory pattern I think.

Excellent paint job Andy. Agree with Terry about the starboard wing camouflage though. It's not so much "curved" as the port wing but it's definitely wavy there too. Don't forget the traces of over painted fuselage codes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back