**** DONE: 1/48 Ju87R-2 "Moshaisk" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well folks, it seems longer than just 12 days since I posted but I've progressed this model in spurts over lunch times and the odd hour in evenings to get to the point shown below.

Let's start back where we left off at the cowl. Because of the gaping hole where the louvers are, you can see quite easily up into the nothingness that is the engine area. To remedy this, I built a quick assembly of split plastic tubes and copper wires glued onto plastic card to simulate the inverted vee cylinder banks and this was stuck into the cowl assembly after painting.

14101301.jpg

14101302.jpg

The prop and spinner was masked and painted over a couple of lunch breaks.

14102801.jpg

The wings went on without any drama, as did the landing gear.

14102802.jpg

I revisited the pilot seat which I found to be kind of clunky looking and unsatisfactory. I broke it out of the cockpit, thinned the sidewalls, rounded the bucket a bit, added some cushions made of tissue paper, and then added the Eduard belts.

14102803.jpg

The seat was then installed back into the pit and the gunner's back rest belt was fastened to one side to finish off the cockpit.

14102804.jpg

Actually, one final piece to put in, which I had forgotten, is the hand wheel in front of the joystick that controlled the trap door to the bomb aiming window seen in this drawing below. That will be the subject of a future post, if I can get it in!

Bomb Window Door.JPG

Great detail on the cockpit Andy! How do you secure the tissue in place... white glue mixture? I remember doing paper mache in my elementary school days... newspaper and Elmer's Glue!

Thanks everyone. John, I just dabbed some clear parts cement on it, basically the same as Elmer's glue and moved it around to wrinkle it.

So here's a question. I don't have any definitive details of the mounts for the wing drop tanks on the R-2. The best I have is this picture and one or two like it but I'm wondering if anyone has a better shot or drawing since I need to scratch build something from this B-2 kit. I wonder if the tank mounts are just add-ons mounted to the existing bomb racks? That's what it looks like.

Wing tank on R-2.jpg

Your right mate and my apologies for not checking, got caught up in the excitement of the moment.

So let's try again, not a good pic but it may help and it is an R-2 of II./St.G 2 in Sicily, Jan 1941. The caption says the aircraft is 'rigged' with a 300 litre drop tank .

20141030 C.jpg

Hey thanks for the help guys. Wojtek, your first pic is the same as I posted but a much better resolution so thanks for that. Definitely the best one to see the detail.

Just a little bit done this weekend. The ratty flap actuators supplied with the kit were removed earlier and are now replaced with linkages made of card and solder wire.

14110202.jpg

I look great, only thing Andy anchors actuators do not see very well glued or so I think it would be a shame to will drop as you manipulate the model

Users who are viewing this thread

Back