**** DONE: 1/72 Lancaster Mk.III - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There are times when I feel I've lost my mind and just jumped willy nilly into the build.
Low and behold I've come across the pdf someone sent me on detailing the Lanc.
Why didn't I review this Before starting. I think there are other little things I could have added.
I will be reviewing it to see if I can do something from the details.

Bugger. Not knocking what I've Did, but ..... bugger.

Well back on the Lanc to ensure I get something finished for this GB.
Surprised it's just odds and endds to complete.

I went to attach the lights on the wingtips and low and behold, lost two!!!!!!!!! So am having to scratch a pair for the port wing from clear spru. I used Tamiya tape around the clear to protect the paint. However the step is a bit high, so I just rough it with this tape. Then a couple of layers of clear office tape to finish. If I go thru one layer, I replace it insuring I protect the color.

Questions;
Were the exhaust flame damper shrouds used?
Or were they left off during ops? I can find pictures both ways.......
And would they have been a rust color from the flame and heat of the exhaust?

Attachments

• 18 Lanc 18.jpg
    18 Lanc 18.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 70
If I were doing the stains, I would lay down some thin black and then some light gray down the middle. Very distinctive pattern. Inboard engines had the stains on both sides along top of wing. Outer engines had stains just on the inboard side of the top of the wing.

lancaster.jpg

Stains?????? Oh geez, now I need a drink!

I've had little luck with the tape things for the canopies, so I'm gonna give masking another go. I do think they will work for the Blenheim and the A-20 tho. Not as many circles and stuff.......

Last edited:
Questions;
Were the exhaust flame damper shrouds used?
Or were they left off during ops? I can find pictures both ways.......
And would they have been a rust color from the flame and heat of the exhaust?

Bill - great work so far, really well done. The exhaust shouds were used to hide the exhaust flames during night ops - a dead give away to the enemy!!!! But I believe that they were removed once the lufwaffe became a non-existent force, so considering your kite was lost in May '44 I would say that they would be fitted. And yes - they eroded and discoloured easily from the heat and heavy lead exhaust gasses.

Adam

Yep, the shrouds were left in place right up to the end of hostilities, although some units removed them for daylight ops, right at the very end (April/May 1845) in order to provide a little extra 'oomph'. They were black, but from the center to the rear, discoloured with a light, brownish grey tinge. This discolouration could cover the whole shroud, depending on the age of the engine, rich running etc etc.

1845???????? Long bl00dy war.

Polish and decals on the wings.
Ah yes - I forgot to mention, that was the pre-production, coal-burning, Lancaster Mk 0. Being made of wood and fabric, and with a coal-burning furnace, it wasn't a success .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back