DONE: F4U-1A of Lt. Bill Case of VMF-214, Group Build...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
True Eric! The old man would have been very proud indeed! Fantastic work Brother! This will be one tough bird to follow....can't wait to see how and what you'll do to raise the bar even higher Dan! Bl**dy well done! :thumbright:

Bl**dy too right! Marvellous work Dan, a real tribute! Not sure on the antenna, but I think it was only the rear mast. I'm afraid I won't have time to check before I go away, but I'm sure someone here will have the answer.

Thanks guys, but had another setback, one which I hope the solution is easy....

I sprayed the first bit of flat matte coat to dull things down, starting with the props, doors and canopy... After drying, I removed the tape from the main canopy and low and behold, I missed a piece of tape when I masked off, on the inside glass, not outside....

As u can see from the pics, I fu*ked up bigtime.... How do I go about removing the paint screwup and not mess up the clear glass???? HELP!

I also got the second wing tip in place and glued, however, the fit really sucks, even after an hour and a half of adjusting/sanding/cutting etc etc.... It should hold together alright, but theres going to be some filling sanding and repainting involved.... Ill know more when the tape comes off and I can get a good look at it....

Thanks for the words on the antenna mast guys.... Now all I have to figure out is how the antenna line was run and where it attaches to....

Attachments

• canopy 002.jpg
    canopy 002.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 104
  • canopy 004.jpg
    canopy 004.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 99
Yeah, it's probably correct. Evan's right, it varied from plane to plane, I don't know the reasoning behind it though.

Neither do I! I think I read it once a LONG time ago, but have forgotten in between...(damn!)
Possibly to do with radio band strength or operational distance from base?

Dan, this will come off - take a bit of work, but it'll come off!
First, mask around the area where the paint is you want to remove, leaving a space around the paint. This is to ensure the other painted areas aren't cleaned off too!
If you're using acrylics, then use a cotton bud, soaked in acrylic thinners, and wipe the area of paint, at the same time using a cocktail stick to lift any edges that might appear.
If you're using enamels, then use lighter fluid, or enamel thinners, and do the same. You'll probably have to use the cocktail stick more vigourously with this.Don't worry about any small scratches, as you might have to very lightly sand over the area, using either very worn, and wet, fine wet and dry, or a 'Scotchbrite' pad or similar.
Either method should leave a dull area, possibly with some traces of paint still apparent.
Now, get a soft cloth, and polish the area with toothpaste, or preferably 'T-Cut', or whatever it's called in the 'States. This is car body colour restorer. If you can't get this, then use metal polish, but sparingly, as it may make clear plastic brittle.
Once done, clean off any excess paste/restorer/polish, and polsih with a soft, dry cloth. Then, give it a coat of 'Future', by brush if it's easier, and stand the canopy, bottom down, on it's bottom frame, to allow the 'Future' to settle out evenly. Do this by palcing ona soft, lint-free cloth or, second choice, kitchen tissue. NOT toilet tissue, as this has paper dust which will adhere. The cloth/tissue will absorb any excess 'Future', but if there are any small 'globs' when dry, these with lift off by carefully removing with the edge of a new scalpel blade.
This should work mate, as I've made the same b*lls up myself in the past, and got away with it!

OK Terry, thanks for the advice, again my man.... Will give it a shot tomorrow...

Took a few quick snaps with the wings on and all the pieces on her..... Comments????

Attachments

• ~wings 001.jpg
    ~wings 001.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 118
  • ~wings 003.jpg
    ~wings 003.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 127
  • ~wings 006.jpg
    ~wings 006.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 117
  • ~wings 009.jpg
    ~wings 009.jpg