**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Heinkel He219 A-7 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All the parts, except for the tiny pieces, have been removed from the sprues, cleaned up and painted or primed. Still need to do some metal highlighting on landing gear cylinders with some other minor color highlights. Probably will weather the landing gear before assembly, adding some darker color to the creases. The main body, although huge and a paint eater, will be simple enough; black belly and blue top. It will be the camo pattern that will be the challenge, slowing progress down.

I believe I will change my paint sequence? In this case applying the RLM 76 to the top first, masking the part line, then applying the black to the underside and the rudder areas. Worried that if I do the reverse I may not get a consistent RLM 76 coverage with it trying to cover any black over spray, And I don't want to double mask!

The tires will be painted as soon as I get my recent order which has some Mr. Thinner/Leveler to use with the Aqueous tire paint I have. Almost impossible to paint from jar (will hand brush, as usual) , and Tamiya thinner does not seem to want to play well with this paint brand.

And, Andy's build post (GB 8) was invaluable. Still toggling back and forth to get details correct. But he was correct in reporting, this kit is almost a snap together. Amazing the fits on the seams. Only one, absolutely tiny gap on the port wing fit. Used more filler opening the nozzle than filling the gap.

primer on2.jpg

bits painted.jpg

Out of curiosity, I see that the dimension of the wings is correct, while in my kit it was not like that, the tips of the wings were almost in the lower middle part of the fuselage, was it already like this or have you rectified the position of the wings? The 4th attempt to make this plane is about to arrive (the previous 3 ended in disaster 2 at 1/72 and the one you already know that my beloved cat destroyed by throwing it to the ground, by the way the cat is still alive and I hope that for many years it will be the same Madcat from Inspertor Gadget, it's hilarious how he whores (forgive the expression but it's very Spanish), the children and steals their toys and stuffed animals just to piss them off...)

Sergio
Not sure I understand your question? I have not made any major modifications to the kit. The only 'adjustments' were, as pointed out by Andy in his build, the tapering down of the fusalage trailing wing edges and the cowling wing bumps, sanding those down. Other than those, and a small amount of filler to remove joint seams, this kit almost built itself. You need a dog. They only eat the small parts that fall off the bench.

Sergio
Not sure I understand your question? I have not made any major modifications to the kit. The only 'adjustments' were, as pointed out by Andy in his build, the tapering down of the fusalage trailing wing edges and the cowling wing bumps, sanding those down. Other than those, and a small amount of filler to remove joint seams, this kit almost built itself. You need a dog. They only eat the small parts that fall off the bench.

IMHO Sergio meant that the wings and their tips were saggy like the floppy arms of a heartbroken modeller who was going to assemble the kit. :lol:
As momo serves all kits beginning the Frog one had the wing roots at the correct place. So the wings had to be bent down what happens quite often to older kits, especially to long parts.

Sergio
is exactly what wotjek says.

First section of flat surface camo applied. I'm mentally flipping a coin to either a) leave it as is, b) try and touch up the couple of over spray areas, c) repainting with the RLM 76 and try again?

Used the Vallejo RLM 75 with a drop of flow improver and very low air pressure (about 15 PSI). Testing on the paint mule looked perfect, but the larger mask needed to be closer to the surface where the curvy sections were. Should work well on the wings and the main fuselage; no transitions since I'm going to do just the flat areas and then overlay the motor round sections with a separate masks..

camo 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back