**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 Nakajima Ki-84 - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So lots of masking and painting later, the Hinomaru's are done. As you can see, I also got the black anti-glare panel done as well and for this I used Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black. For the Hinomarus, I first scaled circles on my cutter software from a previous file and made a set for this model. I then stuck the masks on and painted the white:

23110802.jpg

The white covers the whole circle so that when the red goes on the colour is more uniform. Next, the mask rings were added for the 75mm white outlines. I also covered the seams along the outer edge of the rings to make sure no red bled underneath the outside.

23110803.jpg

Shooting the Tamiya XF-7 Red mixed with a drop of black. No matter how careful I am adding the black, I always add too much and have to add more red. The red on the tail insignia was also masked and shot in this session as you can see.

23110804.jpg

And now, with the masks removed, things look pretty decent.

23110805.jpg

It's clear that the glue on the Oramask vinyl masks reacted with the olive paint. I suspect this is due to the hairspray underneath but it's weird that the Tamiya tape didn't do it to the same extent. I'm not too fussed about this as I'm pretty sure that a clear coat will nullify the effect - at least I hope so. Here's a close up of the wing and fuselage markings:

23110806.jpg

23110801.jpg

And here's the tail. I knew that it would be tricky to get a thin white outline on the red oval and, yeah, it didn't come out evenly. I'll need to do some finicky brushwork here to fix this.

23110807.jpg

And that's how she looks as of right now. Next comes masking for the yellow ID marks and no-step areas. Thanks for looking.

Thanks Hugh

Yellow done. I didn't get a shot of all the masking. In this shot I already stripped a pile of it off and placed more for the fuel tank outline. Paint is Tamiya XF-3 polluted with a bit of red to make it more orangey.

23110902.jpg

And.....done. Actually, I think I may need to brush on some Japanese No Step markings over the flap area. Need to look into that.

23110901.jpg

As you can see, some of the olive paint is already flaking away from the handling I've been doing - a good sign that it will come off easily when I get to the next step of peeling away copious amounts of it to replicate this well worn aircraft.

Busy couple of days coming up so may not be back til Monday or so. Thanks again for looking in.

Well, it's doing what it's supposed to. Probably won't take much water to get it going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back