**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 USN SB2U-3 - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sounds awkward enough. Shame they didn't make the bomb arm so you could click it into place afterwards.
Lesson learned...NEVER buy another Academy kit if it has ANY associations to Accurate Miniatures!! The other kit mfg. I have black listed is Special Hobby; although I'm told they are improving, but still PRC based. Not enough seam filler in the tubes.

How fast are you with this GB? It looks like you were looking forward to it!!!

Done with the 'easy' parts. Will be putting on the gloss coat tomorrow for laying down the decals. Interesting, the decals (and the box art) appear to have the white bands/stripes as part of the paint scheme, but my reading indicates these 'bands' were medical tape used to hold down fraying cloth covering edges coming undone? Will go by the photo George sent though, bandages applied and ready to take on Midway! Not sure what the darker borders are though? Will apply a heavier coat of wash along these edges to try and simulate.

1694121877158-png.png

The fading weathering looks 'OK'. I did not want to push my luck and get the top areas to light. Not really obvious in photos, very subtle transitions attempted. Also, not sure how to treat the rudder paint job. As I understand it this color was allied just before the Midway operation to cover up previous horizontal bands. I assume done with as brush and not very particular on how it looked? I tried the same (with me brush painting and looking crude is a natural!).

sb2u-3-fading-2-jpg.jpg

sb2u-3-fading-4-jpg.jpg

Looks good Ralph. Maybe (only a thought) those black outer markings around the white straps is the same stuff as used on the vertical tail, or some form of dope/paint used to help seal the repairs. :thumbright::D

You see photos of RNZAF P-40s with White stripes flanked with 'Red'. This had people baffled for years, till they realised the bands had been masked, and when the masking tape was removed it was pulling the camo paint off and revealing the primer.
Maybe same thing happening in your photo, but the groundies have touched it up with fresh paint, like Vic and Geo said.

You see photos of RNZAF P-40s with White stripes flanked with 'Red'. This had people baffled for years, till they realised the bands had been masked, and when the masking tape was removed it was pulling the camo paint off and revealing the primer.
Maybe same thing happening in your photo, but the groundies have touched it up with fresh paint, like Vic and Geo said.
Interesting, interesting. I like it. But were the bands purposely painted on as group IDs or as has been reported they were tape patching to keep the cloth from peeling off? I'd be curious on the 'pattern' of the markings as being planned? They all appear, especially the horizontals, only in the cloth areas?

Last edited:
Major decals on. Small bits will have to wait for my klutzy hands to attempt some fashion of weathering. I had attempted to dry fit the cockpit glass pieces; still can't figure out how they fit together. I understand the order, but their nesting together is just not so good. Not sure what is going on with the prop shaft? To fat or just needs trimming back? As an aside, the starboard side landing gear has only broken off at the wing interface twice. I guess I'm just lucky?

A challenge for the first to discover the semi-major FU with the decals. Not quite as bad as my having put the serial number upside down on a previous build, but I was soooo careful this time. So much for that!

SB2U-3 Decals Starboard.JPG

SB2U-3 Decals Port 3.JPG

If we're guessing... should the 2nd yellow bomb ring be further back?
In the spirit of a contest, no its not the bomb rings. From the images that I have been able to bring up there dosen't seem to be a consistancy there. So, I took some artistic licence on this one; right or wrong, they do add some color and interest though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back