DONE: P-47N, 2 Big and Too Heavy 318th Fg 333rd Fs, Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bit more masking and painting done, paint is still a bit wet !
looks ok but i need to practice more i think

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 99
Try Tamiya's tape Karl. One thing that I did when I masked and painted, was lay on too thick first, instead for several soft and thinner layers.... :oops: Looks great nonetheless old sport! :thumbright:

Nice work Karl. I agree with the chaps. Ordinary masking tape is fine for some tasks, but it is too 'course', which allows the bleed on fine-line work. The Tamiya tape is low tack, smooth, and sharp edged, which helps eliminate the problem. OK, it's about £4, but well worth it, and sometimes you can use the same strips again for less important jobs.
If in doubt about getting bleed-through, once the tape is in place, put a thin coat of the base colour over the edges of the tape; this seals it, and prevents the second colour bleeding and causing the spikey look.

need your opinion's guy's !

do you think 333rd Fs had yellow wing tips?

pics below show a model done by Adam Payne who's father flew in the 333rd and a 333rd P-47 from 1945 at Ie shima, there's also a link to his website.
Me Fahdda

i dont think the black and white pic shows yellow wing tips !

what do you all think ?

Attachments

• 333flight_line_icky.jpg
    333flight_line_icky.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 102
  • icky1c.jpg
    icky1c.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Re- did the black stripes on the horisontal surfaces.
come out a little better just had to let the paint dry :rolleyes: but will have to invest in some tamiya tape

Attachments

• Picture 067.jpg
    Picture 067.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 120
Looking better Karl - you're improving with every step mate.
Regarding those yellow wing tips; it's not possible to be 100% sure, but the tips might well be yellow. On the aircraft nearest the camera, the port tip (only just) shows a slight difference in contrast and reflection, which could be yellow paint.
As the modeller's father was with the unit, I reckon he'd know about the colours, and would get it right - he may even have had a colour pic.
I think I'd be tempted to go with yellow tips mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back