**** DONE: RNZAF captured A6M3 - Captured / Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
User Name : N5421U
Real : Bill
Category : Still somewhere in the middle
Entry : Surrender marked A6M3 Zero.
Kit : Tamiya 1/48th scale..... OTB! Maybe some scratch build stuff. Gotta keep this one simple.
Accessories : None.

I hope I don't end up in divorce court over this additional build. I just can't help myself this one is so unusual. But here it is. Got the kit this arvo and couldn't help getting stuck into it is why I don't have a pic of the box. It's already out the door.

Found this on the net. Had an interesting story. It ended up being shipped to NZ and tested. I think it's in a museum now, in the original sqn colors. But I am going to give it the white with green cross.

Wish me luck, now I've got 4 under way!
Don't anyone tell my wife!!!!

Attachments

• NZ Zero1a plane.jpg
    NZ Zero1a plane.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 277
  • NZ Zero1b plane.jpg
    NZ Zero1b plane.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 411
  • NZ Zero1c.jpg
    NZ Zero1c.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 267
  • NZ Zero1d.jpg
    NZ Zero1d.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 239
Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, do want the good news or the bad news.....?

seeing as though I missed you, I won't keep you in suspense.....The Tamiya Zero is an A6M3 Model 32 Zero with the clipped wings (Squared wing tips)
The captured zero is an A6M3 Model 22 with the longer or wider rounded wing tips......sorry to rain on your parade....

Both images sourced from the Internet to show the wingtip shapes.

Attachments

• A6M3_Model 22.jpg
    A6M3_Model 22.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 351
  • A6M3_model 32.jpg
    A6M3_model 32.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,957
Last edited:
Okay.

Does the aileron extend all the way out as in the illustration?
Or is it just to the section clipped like in the diagram?

I know when a Mustangs wing is clipped, the aileron is shortened as well.
No dummy spit! I will do either!!!!!!!!!! I just need to know.

The Aileron on the A6M3 Mdel 32 is slightly shorter than the model 22, the first line diagram showing both wing sections is accurate that aileron does not extend all the way out as per coloured plan view. This in fact represents the layout of the A6M5 Zero Model 52 rather than the model 22.

So, for sanities sake, I will leave the aileron as is and add the round tip extension.....
A little more work, but nothing like what I have done on Merlin's Magic.....

easy peasy.
Thanks Wayne

I see you have another similar project that I start jajajaja, because if we want to mold and assemble sqn jajajaja, if as good dicimos abounds here

My approach is a little diff but similar. First attempt will be to leave it as is, make a sawcut with the cord at center and fit a pvc card cut to finished shape and then pack with card top and bottom. I can shape without gluing the piece in place until I finish rough shaping, then glue it in place and finsh off. This will save wear and tear in the wingtip. I'll take the jpg Wayne provided me to work today and copy to size for shaping the first piece of card and start tonight.

I sailor on.

Hog??????? Are doing motorcycles as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? LOL

So here's the first set of mod pics!
First the saw cut, stick the PVC in, add a little glue.
Marck the with a Sharpee.
Trim with little scissors and file finish to shape.

Will start building up the thickness now and file to blend in with the wing.....

Easy peasy.

Attachments

• NZ Zero3a.jpg
    NZ Zero3a.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 165
  • NZ Zero3b.jpg
    NZ Zero3b.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 163
  • NZ Zero3c.jpg
    NZ Zero3c.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 181

Users who are viewing this thread