Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No advice on the primer. As it's an enamel (I assume) I'm not sure that warm air blowing on it will do much. That definitely works on acrylic though.

Yep, its enamel. Well the warm air theory is playing on the theory that 'curing' is a chemical reaction; and in most cases, adding heat to a reaction will cause that reaction to speed up. Additionally, if the air was a little too moist when I shot the primer (which from memory can cause tackiness), the addition of heat will help encourage the water to evaporate off and give the thing a chance to properly dry...

However, an Engineer I am, but a Chemical Engineer I am not! :)

Its Ta 183 time, til things harden... I've never NOT had an enamel harden, given enough time; so I'm accepting the punishment ATM, and waiting things out I think :)

D

The D-15 is almost dry and tack-free, so I'm hoping by the weekend I can recommence work on it... In the meantime, the Ta 183 has been started and has taken an interesting turn, going down a Luft '47 type road (based loosely on an alternate-history novel I was toying with a few years back) and being turned into a Short Range, Night Interceptor. Cockpit has been suitably detailed with some new Panels (Radar Displays, Weapons Control Panel, Weapons Release Cue Panel, Blind Landing Aid) and has been modded to include a Luftwaffe style Ejection Handle, Emergency Canopy Release, Throttle block, etc. Still to be attached, when the thing all goes together is a Landing Gear handle, Flaps handle, Stores Release Handle, etc; once I finish detailing the main panel (Just needs dry brushing)... Then it will all go togther normally until I turn the Semi-recessed hardpoint into a streamlined fuel-tank, make a high speed fuel tank for one wing, then an F4U-5N styled illumination radar for the opposite wing. Then I just need to look at where German Beam-Riding missle tech was headed and load two of the remaining three hardpoints with anti-bomber, beam-rider-type missiles... :)

But this is a Dora thread, so I guess Im just ranting again!

D

Just doing a time check here guys, not that this is a deadline-critical GB, but in the introductory post I had suggested this GB be a 6 month one ending at the end of August. Since then, we've had 17 people announce their intention to participate, some with more than one build. 9 builds are underway in various states of completion, 4 builds are finished, and 4 guys have not started anything yet. At the rate we're going, the end of August is not likely going to see everyone get done. But hey, that's OK. As long as there is interest, I'll propose we keep the build open ended until the thread peters out of its own accord.

As above, Wayne and I are saving the best for last :) Well, that's probably more true for Wayne than I, BUT the warm air blower is doing its job; shant be done by the end of the month unless its dry tomorrow and EVERYTHING remaining goes according to plan. "According to Plan" has NOT been par-for-the-course on this project... ;)

D

Just doing a time check here guys, not that this is a deadline-critical GB, but in the introductory post I had suggested this GB be a 6 month one ending at the end of August. Since then, we've had 17 people announce their intention to participate, some with more than one build. 9 builds are underway in various states of completion, 4 builds are finished, and 4 guys have not started anything yet. At the rate we're going, the end of August is not likely going to see everyone get done. But hey, that's OK. As long as there is interest, I'll propose we keep the build open ended until the thread peters out of its own accord.
I still intend to get back to mine Andy, but it's taking a back seat right now to real world things and the "official" group builds. It will be September at the earliest before I start in again.

Unusual approach, but nice work Adam!

Thanks - I chose to fit the upper wings first learning from my Eduard 190A-8 build which had quite a substantial gap at wing-fuselage. This required that I saw the cannon cover in half and fill the gap after the two halves were fitted. So this way, the cannon covers fit correctly and hopefully the lower wing will line up!

Last edited:
Sorry guys - I've jumped forward a few steps and forgot to keep a photo record of each step.
First off the lower wing section lined up perfectly to the fitted upper wings. There was a bit of filler required at the rear of the lower wing part and also when closing the two wing halves together at the fuselage junction - I think due to the flap insert. I've also started painting - the RV band first (white then yellow) - Andy you can assume then that I'll be doing the <II W/Nr 210194 scheme!
I've scratched a flame deflector for the starboard exhausts (not sure if dimensionally correct but fits!) and put on a first hand painted coat of RLM 76, which in Hannants xtra colour enamel with 10% white added. I'm not fused about the slightly streaky first coat as I find it gives me good tonal variation when the second coat goes on. Hopefully the rivet detail will survive the painting - if not I'll go over the lines with my rivet tool!!!!
Adam

190d9-35.JPG

190d9-36.JPG

190d9-37.JPG

190d9-38.JPG

190d9-40.JPG

ITS DRY!!! I CAN SAND!!!!

Just as I was getting into this Ta 183 build (Fitted out with a Corsair-style Radar, Beam Riding Missles, conformal Belly Fuel Tank and stupidly detailed Cockpit and Landing gear bays), the Fw 190D-15 comes good. A gentle Wet-sand in places to smooth over the area's of concern and maybe some Tamiya Surfacer in the small flaws the primer has shown up, should get this thing to paint! :)

Finally, back on the build!

D

Second coat of RLM 76 applied last night, then I put on the national insignia on both the fin and fuselage and gave these a light dabbing of the remaining 76 to fade them as they appear in the reference pictures. I think I might need to fade them more but will wait until the weathering stage. Tonight I've put on some RLM75 with a few mottles on the fin, rudder and the demarcation line and also unmasked the RV band......sharp intake of breath!!!! Needs a little tidy up/touch up of yellow but otherwise OK!
Adam

190d9-41.JPG

190d9-42.JPG

190d9-43.JPG

More discoveries from the EPIC that is my D-15....

DO NOT APPLY MM PRIMER OVER ALCLAD MICROFILLER/PRIMER - the INSTANT you touch it with sandpaper, it tears off! Sands beautifully on the rest of the model however. So, moral of the story, MM Primer Sands Beautifully, Alclad Primer/Microfiller Sands Beautifully, but dont use MM on top of Alclad. Back to slowly repairing things...

On the flip side, the Ta 183 is FLYING together; it has a conformal belly tank that just needs finishing, resin Engine Bay, Scratched Cockpit, the fit on this old AMTech kit is pretty awesome (just the warped tail issue) and thus, the next challenge is the Wing Mounted Illumination Radar and some Flare Launchers :)

D

Its all I can do Wayne... We're back to most of the model back to 800grit Wet and Dry with only one area of concern left... Im thinking, despite the trickiness of it (the engine cowl forward of the BIG Ta 152C supercharger intake), I might just remove the grey primer off there as well; the rest of the thing seems ok. Next primer coat will just be PAINT as I am sick of the hassles!

We are getting there... When its all in one colour again, Pics will be posted; it looks a bit crap ATM - again we're back to three different colours of plastic, Black Microfiller/Primer, Grey MM Primer, Grey Tamiya Primer/Filler and some Dark Grey Gunze paint... at least the Squadron Green and Milliput have remained hidden! :)

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back