Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lacquer thinner will work for the spraying but don't add it to the bottle. Sounds like you suffered from MM's sh!tty bottle caps. Might as well seal the bottle with a piece of gauze for all the good they do.

@Crimea - I do have some MM Lacquer thinner (which I have always used when shooting MM enamels), just wasnt sure if this would work with the primer; couldn't find anywhere on the net that confirmed or denied that this worked. As for the Thinner 'vanishing', yeah I suspect thats what happened - it is pretty volatile and has been sitting in the shed, which can experience big temperature variantions... Either way, will have more thinner tomorrow :)

D

Fw190D-9 Black 10 Update!

Well I squeezed in a bit of time to do something....the rear fuselage panel line was done which you will note is actually offset, added the cockpit etch rear upper decking and fitted the cockpit assembly in place, hopefully I will get this bird moving a little faster...

Attachments

• 6_Rear Fuselage Panel Line_3783.jpg
    6_Rear Fuselage Panel Line_3783.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 7_D-9_Black 10_6060.jpg
    7_D-9_Black 10_6060.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 8_instrument panel_0874.jpg
    8_instrument panel_0874.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 9_Instrument panel_0882.jpg
    9_Instrument panel_0882.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 77
Good stuff Wayne!

Mine are all packed down for storage, will probably be a year atleast before I see them again.

Jesus Wayne - there are times that I totally hate your level of skill, Hahaha! How on gods-green-earth did you rescribe such a PERFECT looking panel line down the spine? Normally I'll rescribe something, tell myself I am FINALLY getting better at this, then take a Macro-photo it and it'll look like a blind-man with a chain-saw took to it! ;)

D

Progress seems slow, but I keep telling myself, a little at a time and it is moving forward!!
Having got the fuselage halves together I was keen to see how the HGW rivets went down. They recommend using Mr surfacer 1000 as a primer, which I managed to get hold of. However, this stuff dries before it even leaves the bottle!! Even with a good thinning with cellulose (laquer) thinner!! But eventually managed to get a thin covering on the fuselage. Next came the rivets, and a lot of inexperience!!! The Mr surfacer repels Microset (Mr Mark decal softener not available in the UK). HGW reckon you can rivet the whole model in three hours - LMFAO!!!!!! It wasn't until I'd finished the fuselage that I realised that I was doing it wrong!!!!!

190d9-26.JPG

190d9-27.JPG

Then the wings. I decided to spray them with Halfords grey primer. The Microset didn't shrink away and I thought I was on to a winner, until it was time to lift off the clear carrier film and most of the rivets came up with it!! AARRGGH!!! But not perturbed, I gave it a second go and really pressed the decal down on to the surface and let it dry. After a couple of hours I was pleased to see that the rivets had transferred on to the wing surfaces. There are a few gaps but you do get some free lines to patch these up. However, I may leave them as I think it adds to the over all weathering.

190d9-24.JPG

190d9-25.JPG

190d9-23.JPG

I've just added the rivet details to the flaps and front of the wings and added the access hatches to the underwings. So hopefully tomorrow I can look at attaching the wings and moving forward.

Adam

I have the HGW Fw 190 Rivets and Control Surface Set, I primarily bought the Control Surfaces to use as Masters for Etching the control surface Frames (I want to do a blown D-9 at some stage) - and the Rivets because I was curious... Haven't been game to try them after a number of people reporting everything from AWESOME results to 'WTF?!?!'

D

wow - I'm surprised that the Guru's havent heard of these products. They're not entirely new. HGW produce full sets for the 109F; 109G; Fw190A; Fw190D; and the P-47. I know these are available in 1/48th but I'm sure I've seen them in 1/32 too. 1/48 sets cost about £15 GBP, not sure about the 1/32. They also do sets of free lines too, but the sets also include plenty of free lines. I got mine off eBay but you can order from HGW direct.
Thanks for comments
Adam

Yeah, the HGW sets are getting harder to find too, from what I am seeing... Im keen to see what you end up with too, BTW... I notice you have the silver ones too (they come in Black and Silver, I think?); they seem like they'd be good; just give the colour a light sand with 1200-2000grit, to let just a HINT of the silver colour show through... Not that I have tried it; mine are the Black ones...

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back