Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tonight I've added the wing upper surfaces, using the spar that forms the wheel well as a guide to set the dihedral

View attachment 237987

View attachment 237988

A slight gap at the front of the port wing, but not too bad. But the junction of wing/fuselage at the back was pretty non existent!!!

View attachment 237989

I've also installed the upper part of the Quickboost flaps

View attachment 237990

View attachment 237991

And started work on the wheel bay

View attachment 237992

A quick test fit does show that I need to thin down the flap inserts slightly, or the lower wing where they join, and also there is quite a gap that I'll need to fill with plasticard at the lower fuselage that is attached to the lower wing.
I've also test fitted the Quickboost closed cannon covers, and assumed that they would be a simple drop in replacement. However, far from true - there is a great wedge of resin to sand off to make them flat and after doing so I realised that they won't completely fill the apperature in the wing, so I've sanded down the kit parts ready.

Adam

Please tell me about the Quickboost flaps. I'm working on a D-13 and would love to include flaps, but the Eduard PE ones are just a nightmare.

Those pics look like the flaps represented are the metal ones rather than the wooden ones: am I correct?

Also, the Eduard ones require that you sand the wing plastic down to almost paper-thin. IS that the case with these as well?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Couple of shots of my Fw 190D-9 "Black 1" finished. As you can see I went for "dirty" look. Hope haven't went over the top with it. Anyway, not my best work probably, but glad to see it done. Don't know why it took me so long to finish it...

I'll post official (and more decent) ***Finished photos in couple of days, as soon as we get some sun around here.

That's not your best work?? Hell, man, it freakin' rocks!! Especially the weathering!

Oouuu, much progress! Uni is finally done with for the semester - easing back into it with my Ta 183 Nightfighter; back to painting the Fw 190D-15 shortly :)

D

@silence - B.Computer Science/Software Engineering; I have 3 courses left to go! But with my Grade Point Average, I'll probably go straight into some Post-Grad stuff (I have scored High Distinction's in all courses, bar two; and in those I got Distinction's - the first of which was due to be grouped with SLACKERS for group-work and the second I just blew the final and finished up 1 point short of a HD... My Uni awards grades as per; FF : Fail, P : Pass (=>50), C : Credit (=>65), D : Distinction (=>75), HD : High Distinction (=>85); not sure why 'fail' is 'FF' - I suspect its because when you get your results and see a fail on it, you preface the fail with something a bit salty - like "What?!?! I F@#$ING FAILED?!?!"... ).

But its holidays now, so I am determined to think about as little of that crap as possible - I have the D-15 to finish painting, this Ta 183 Nightfighter to finish (its a BIG aircraft - it has the length and span of a Fw 190D, with a great deal of fuel capacity, when you consider the internal tanks, wet wing and drop tank capability. My Luft '47-esque Ta 183 has even greater fuel capacity, with the semi-recessed Bomb-bay, being turned into one big, bulged fuel tank and an extra tank hung off the wing to provide aerodynamic balance to the Illumination Radar on the other wing), a bunch of He 219A research and drawings to finish and for some reason, I want to model some Jets!

BUT, back to the models :) Tis cold and raining here ATM, so not ideal weather for shooting colour (despite the rather effective moisture trap on the compressor), thus its Ta 183 time :)

Why thank you Wayne :)

Oh and as Wayne has already been informed, as an impulse buy Mid-Exams (there was a few of those), I am the proud owner of a 1/32 Zoukei-Mura Ta 152H-1 - very much looking fwd to the 1/48 too!

Other impulse buys (I kinda of lost of the plot a little during exams, hahaha) were the new 1/48 HobbyBoss YF-23, another 1/48 Hasegawa Bf 109K-4, 1/48 Haseagwa FA-18F (I guess I want to build both the RAAF F and F+ jets), another 1/48 Hasegawa F-14D (my other guilty pleasure, along with Fw 190/Ta 152 and He 219), and pair of 1/48 F-16's, one to become a USN F-16A and the other a USN TF-16N... And that doesnt include the decals and resin and etc either! I figured I was stuck at home and in the office studying, so I wasn't spending money going out or anything... I just didnt realise the scope of the impulses until afterwards, hahaha.

I'm Dan and I have a problem! :)

Last edited:
@silence - B.Computer Science/Software Engineering; I have 3 courses left to go! But with my Grade Point Average, I'll probably go straight into some Post-Grad stuff (I have scored High Distinction's in all courses, bar two; and in those I got Distinction's - the first of which was due to be grouped with SLACKERS for group-work and the second I just blew the final and finished up 1 point short of a HD... My Uni awards grades as per; FF : Fail, P : Pass (=>50), C : Credit (=>65), D : Distinction (=>75), HD : High Distinction (=>85); not sure why 'fail' is 'FF' - I suspect its because when you get your results and see a fail on it, you preface the fail with something a bit salty - like "What?!?! I F@#$ING FAILED?!?!"... ).

But its holidays now, so I am determined to think about as little of that crap as possible - I have the D-15 to finish painting, this Ta 183 Nightfighter to finish (its a BIG aircraft - it has the length and span of a Fw 190D, with a great deal of fuel capacity, when you consider the internal tanks, wet wing and drop tank capability. My Luft '47-esque Ta 183 has even greater fuel capacity, with the semi-recessed Bomb-bay, being turned into one big, bulged fuel tank and an extra tank hung off the wing to provide aerodynamic balance to the Illumination Radar on the other wing), a bunch of He 219A research and drawings to finish and for some reason, I want to model some Jets!

BUT, back to the models :) Tis cold and raining here ATM, so not ideal weather for shooting colour (despite the rather effective moisture trap on the compressor), thus its Ta 183 time :)

Heh - I should show you the resume of a friend I went through Undergrad school with. Got his PhD in Comp Engineering from Carnegie-Mellon. He's a full professor in his mid-40s and his resume - including publications - is 15 pages long.

I just got my Z-M Ta 152 also. Have you build the 1/32 Revell HE 219? Its a wonderful, fun kit - as long as you have room to build it!

Yeah, I have the Revell He 219 as well (got mine for $75, so it was impossible to NOT buy one), along with a bunch of aftermarket I have slowly been collecting for it. The kit does have issues - some I can confirm, some I wish to check (which building) and others that are easily correctable; and the kit does have some bonuses!

Comfirmed issues - Lack of the Rear Fuselage Window: Seriously, how could they miss that? Its on all A-2's and A-7's I've seen images of and appears to be present on all A-0's and prototypes with the late rear fuselage. Not to mention that they way they have engineered the fuselage will make adding the window a challenge (meaning the hole has to be cut and fitted with a slightly blown piece of plastic on the fuselage top piece, then the fuselage sides will have to have great chunks of plastic out of them before we can even think about adding a little internal detail). There is also another Trasparency (associated with avionics) missing from the rear fuselage too.

Fixable Issues - Ironically we're able to pose all moving surfaces except the Radiator flaps! On the ground, the only moving surfaces left in a non-neutral position, were the radiator flaps! Barracuda have what appear to be an excellent correction for that (that was my first buy). Next were the wheels, that were overly simplistic - Eduard comes to the rescue there; Eduard also do what appears to be a very nice main gear bay set - but you'll still need to add gear bay door detail (which they illustrate in the instructions, but is not present on the plastic?!?!). The FuG220-SN2c/d dipoles are just diabolically bad, but again we have some nice brass aftermarket ones that are the correct lengths (Profimodeller or Master or someone does those); and also diabolical is the balance of the thing. From those who have built one, I am told that you need to PACK not just the nose with lead, but also the front of the engine nacelles with a LOT of weight - On the positive, the gear legs are all hollow, so I suspect they'll get filled with brass rod, unless they need replacing with metal, due to the weight! Next, the cockpit is pretty good in general, but since looking more closely, what were they thinking with those seats?!?!?

And then we come to the markings and painting details - oh god... They seem to have balls'd most of those up in some way. Using the AIMS or EagleCals sheets, you can put together some accurate markings; but Owl have a line of decals of which half of the schemes are just photographically undocumented

Issues for checking - Some report the Engine Nacelles are anorexic, the fuselage shape (notably the rear fuselage) is off and the shape of the trailing edge of the wing requires scutiny. At this stage, I don't know; I haven't built it, so I can't say for sure yet!

Bonuses - From memory, in the box we also get plastic for i) the four cannon belly tray and ii) a/c without Schräge-Musik. Note ii) is applicable to Schwechat-built A-2's (which were previously referred to as A-5's, while using i) and ii) together, gets you a late A-0 (such as the first Rostock A-0's, which had the FuG220-SN2c) - you easily go the extra step from here and go an earlier A-0 with the FuG-212/FuG220-SN2b array, but that would require some cockpit mod's too...

BUT this is massively off topic! :)

D

Ok, here are few more pictures of finished model... As mentioned earlier, this is and old Airfix kit in 1/72 scale, build out of the box, with panel lines re scribed and wing root canons made of hypodermic needle.

Attachments

• resize of SDC13115.JPG
    resize of SDC13115.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 63
  • resize of SDC13116.JPG
    resize of SDC13116.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 67
  • resize of SDC13117.JPG
    resize of SDC13117.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 87
  • resize of SDC13118.JPG
    resize of SDC13118.JPG