Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Please tell me about the Quickboost flaps. I'm working on a D-13 and would love to include flaps, but the Eduard PE ones are just a nightmare.

Those pics look like the flaps represented are the metal ones rather than the wooden ones: am I correct?

Also, the Eduard ones require that you sand the wing plastic down to almost paper-thin. IS that the case with these as well?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi - sorry for delay in replying...
Yes the Quickboost flaps do represent the metal ones. As for fit - there was a slight amount of sanding required to fit the upper parts. Unfortunately I didn't realise this with mine and I'd already fitted the upper wing parts. Probably better and easier to sand the wing half rather than the resin and do this before attaching to the fuselage. That way you can keep testing the fit with the lower wing part. Only a bit of sanding required then they just drop in. Good luck. Adam

Yes the Quickboost flaps do represent the metal ones. As for fit - there was a slight amount of sanding required to fit the upper parts. Unfortunately I didn't realise this with mine and I'd already fitted the upper wing parts. Probably better and easier to sand the wing half rather than the resin and do this before attaching to the fuselage. That way you can keep testing the fit with the lower wing part. Only a bit of sanding required then they just drop in. Good luck. Adam

thanks! already ordered some. Love all good tidbits the kind folks on this site have to show and share

Okay calling this one done.

003_zps408e98b8.jpg

006_zpsc5a433f8.jpg

001_zps08a94403.jpg

004_zps4b42e589.jpg

Actually I fitted a set to a Tamiya D-9 (the 'for Tamiya' set - with Verlinden Engine and Scracthbuilt Radiator and all sorts of guff) and for the wing internals you need to remove a LOT of plastic and a LOT of resin - both ended up literally paper thin. Alas, this ended up being a problem - not sure exactly what/why/how, but after most of the painting was done (Alclad Black and a primer - yeah, its a little hot, so that MAYBE the cause - and MM enamels) that whole area of the wing just BOWED upwards and the top of the resin interiors BOWED at right angles in the other direction. Took HOURS and HOURS of fitting and aligning which after the bowing, sort of came to nought! Especially since I was only going to have the flaps cracked open about 2-3mm... Not really sure what I'll do with that kit!

That said, I've had much better success with the Eduard Etched Metal flaps - less 'prep' on the plastic, more time doing the internals and I felt the metal flaps looked better (and once you figure out how to bend the 'cut out' area's, quite easy to fold up).

But to this day I have NO real idea why everything just bowed out - wrecked what would have been a really nice build!

D

Dear Dan,

Stop being so Lazy! Your D-15 is HALF painted; so what's the problem? Man up for christ's sake and just shoot some colour at the thing... It will look awesome when its done. And if it doesn't, well, **** happens - there are enough old Dragon Fw 190D-9's and Ta 152C-0's in the world for you to try again; if you're that stupid. Hell, if its thats big a deal, the Ta 183 looks great. Finish the last wing seam off and shoot colour at BOTH the D-15 AND Ta 183 at once!

Because you know, when you finish these two builds, I'm going to let you choose something else to to build... Maybe those Big Ol' 1/32 ZM Ta 152 or the Revell He 219; of if you need a break from Lw-junkie duties, there is that HB YF-23 or the Two US Navy F-16 project (an older TF-16N and a newer F-16A)...

Just suck it up, bitch!

Sincerly,

Dan's Modelling Conscience!

Hmmm, yeah... It has a point!

I have to admit, I am ROFLMAO reading that. Only a cat owner can truly appreciate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back