Eduard 1/48 Bf-110C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys

Superb job Andy, looks fantastic. Don't forget the wooden 'sheath' over the reciever of the MG15.

Terry, thanks for catching my typo - the gun is indeed an MG15 but I'm not sure what you mean by the "wooden sheath". Can you elaborate? I know this gun on the C-4 had a drum cartidge feed and a small bag under the gun to collect the casings. The bag is featured on the model - it's what my clothes pin is grabbing on to in the photo. There's also a large aluminum box inside the cockpit that the spent casings could be dumped into once the bag was full. Interestingly, this box was on rails and moved as it filled to retain the aircraft CG as fuel was expended.

Early C's had a rotating mount that allowed the gun to be turned to starboard 90 degrees and stowed in a recess in the fusleage under the closed canopy. During the C-4 development,this feature was changed to leave the mount fixed in the center and a corresponding cut-out was provided in the canopy to accommodate the now permanently protruding gun. However, some of the early C-4's still had the rotating mount but some crews modified the canopy in the field to allow the gun to be stowed ready to fire at any time. I've replicated the latter arrangement.

The only other thing I'm aware of is a jury-rigged shroud made of canvas or equivalent to close the gap between the gun and canopy opening in the field modified machines that not all carried. I'd be interested to hear more about this wooden device you're referring to.

Thanks Wayne. I'm actually a bit disappointed with the work around the air intake and landing light. Doesn't survive the close-up test - yet. Need more work in these areas before showing.

Andy, the wooden 'sheath' was a protective cover over the reciever, which is the tubular, main 'body' of the weapon, to the rear of the saddle magazine.It was there as the left hand would steady and control the gun by being placed over the reciever which, of course, got hot. It had a slot in it to accept the bolt cocking handle, which reciprocated (flew back and forth!) when fired. The pistol grip pads were also wooden, but some later weapons had resin grips. I must admit, it was only after seeing Guttorm's weapons that I fully realised about the 'sheath'. There are some pics of the real thing, and the 1/32nd scale model, in Wayne's Ju88 thread and/or Guttorm's stuff.

Oh I see, thanks. Will check my references and possibly add. It might be a bit fiddley in 1/48 though.

Just so you know, I'm not going to fall for Guttorm's trick of giving Wayne one last little detail to add, just when he thought he was done! I've already decided against adding the myriad cables in the wheel wells that pulled the gear doors shut as the struts retracted.

Andy, no need to add anything to the MG15. Just paint the reciever in a wood shade, normally Beech, as the 'sheath' was close fitting, relatively thin timber and, unless viewed close up, appeared to be part of the 'tube'.

OK Terry, thanks. Will do.

Wayne, I have not fixed the area of the close up yet but here's a BEFORE shot anyway. Hard to see but in the carb intake there's a scratch built grille since the PE part disappeared into the wing. The landing light is a very thick piece of clear plastic that is not very transparent. So the bulb and dish I made inside are not very visible. I'm thinking of trying to make a new lens out of shaped clear plastic.

The wing leading edge was touched up by brush and I need to smooth out the stroke marks with fine paper. Also, I'd like to rescribe some of the lines and rivets that disappeared.

The close-up lens is brutal for revealing flaws that are barely seen by my eyes in 1/48. So often, the photos reveal things I need to fix after I thought I was done.

Attachments

• 100527 Intake and Light.jpg
    100527 Intake and Light.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 127
Andy, no need to add anything to the MG15. Just paint the reciever in a wood shade, normally Beech, as the 'sheath' was close fitting, relatively thin timber and, unless viewed close up, appeared to be part of the 'tube'.

Terry, I think I found that pic in Guttorm's Ju-88 thread. This the one? If so, seems simple enough to just paint the kit part a wood colour like you said.

Wayne, repairs under way. RLM 65 and 02 are on. Just need to blend in the white and sand a bit. Pics in a day or two.

Attachments

• Mg%2015`s.jpg
    Mg%2015`s.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back