Eduard 1/48 Bf-110C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You got me very curious about this so I did some research to determine what it actually is. The answer is its a blind landing approach antenna.

Messerschmitt Bf 110 G in detail

Attachments

• detail_bf110g_14.jpg
    detail_bf110g_14.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 143
Beat me to it ! The antenna is for the Lorenz Beam Approach system, similar in layout to those seen on RAF bombers. It was part of the early Ground Controlled Approach (GCA) system in use until the 1950's, when more sophisticated ILS systems were installed at major airports and airfields. Basically, it recieves signals indicating that the aircraft is right or left of track, approaching or departing. When a constant signal (audible and or visual) is maintained, the aircraft is on track for approach to the beacon and, ultimately, the runway threshold, on the correct bearing for a landing approach.
Nice work BTW!

Perfect! Thanks guys! I was googling around last night for a couple of hours and couldn't get a hit. Now I know.

BTW, not sure what happened to that 110G example which seems to have this antenna cut short. Detail plans for the 110C through G that I've seen had each antenna supported on 3 posts not 2 like in that photo.

More fiddly bits and touches.

First pic shows the cockpit windscreen with handles now attached.

Second pic is the port tail section. I decided to add the kill marks as my favoured option to depict whatever the black smear in this area is in the reference photo at the front of this thread.

Final pic is the DF loop which I made from wire. The kit-supplied loop is a single circle whereas the real deal was two distinct loops closely spaced so I chucked the kit part and made my own.

Also done but not shown are the addition of the mass balances and antenna wire glued ot the starboard tail section. I also glued back on the MG crosshairs (second time it broke off) and the front cockpit lid (third time broke off).

Thanks for your continued interest.

Attachments

• 100616 Pit.jpg
    100616 Pit.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 100616 Tail.jpg
    100616 Tail.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 100616 DF Loop.jpg
    100616 DF Loop.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 172
Hi, Andy, Gents,

I like your model a lot, specially the winter camo. Could you explain how you brushed it? Also, did you use acrylics exclusively?

Regards.

Hi, Andy, Gents,

I like your model a lot, specially the winter camo. Could you explain how you brushed it? Also, did you use acrylics exclusively?

Regards.

Thanks Flash and to you also Jan.

Flash, the painting sequence starts in post number 85 and the winter coat is explained in post 111 but essentailly, the sequence was this: Summer camo of RLM 02/71/65 was applied first and allowed to cure. This was actually a mix of paints. The 65 and 71 are Polyscale acrylics and the 02 is Model Master enamel. I had bought a bunch of acrylics but wanted to also use up my enamels, hence the mix. Once cured, the entire model was coated with Future floor polish that was allowed to cure completely over 3 days. Once that was done, an very thin coat (50/50) of Pollyscale acrylic white was applied in a patchy pattern making sure that some of the undercoat could be seen in the worn areas. All painting was done with an airbrush (Paasche VL double action). Once the white dried, a gentle sanding with wet 400 grit sandpaper in the heavy wear areas revealed the undercoat some more. Frequent reference was made to the photo of the actual plane to get the wear patterns as realistic as possible.

I will be posting some finished shots in the future once this one gets done. Almost there. Thanks for your interest.

Will have a close look at this one again, when I get to my Eduard Bf 110E and the one flown by Lt. Herbert Kutscha, 5./ZG1 in Russia in '42, S9+NN tasty winter camou on that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back