F-82 roll axis question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Since last night I've been trying to figure out how the roll axis of the F-82 works. Does it roll about the fuselage where the control inputs are being applied, or does it roll about the center of the wing as if it has a central fuselage? And what type of roll was consistent of twin fuselage aircraft?

I've read pilot reports from the P-82 that say, to the pilot it felt as though it was rolling around him and, to the navigator / radar operator ikt felt as though it was rolling around him.

To me, that says the actual roll axis was in the middle, as you'd expect with equal aileron deflection during a roll.

From what I can tell in videos of the XP-82 flying, it does seem to roll/bank symmetrically, as per having the controls rigged conventionally, and not about one fuselage or the other.

From what I can tell in videos of the XP-82 flying, it does seem to roll/bank symmetrically, as per having the controls rigged conventionally, and not about one fuselage or the other.

The physics pretty much dictates it, if the weight is symmetrical and the control surfaces are as well. Of course, the weight may not be symmetrical depending on fuel stowage and consumption.

But the C/G is not bound to the airframe itself, it can and probably was between the two fuselages. Not speaking about this plane in particular, but it could be a spot not inside the airframe at all. It will also change depending on maneuvers. C/G is not a static spot, especially when you're pulling Gs.

If the weight or aerodynamics aren't symmetrical, you've got a little more thinking to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back