**** FINISHED: 1/48 Tornado F3 - Home Country Modern Aircraft / Spitfire Mark GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Panavia Tornado F3, 56 Sqn RAF, 'The Firebirds', 2011.

Username: Airframes.
Name: Terry.
Category: Judge - non competing
Kit: Airfix.
Scale:1/48th.
Accessories: 'Master' turned brass pitot, scratch-built cockpit fittings and seats, antennas, lamps, brake lines etc, some home made decals, and some from the spares files, lots of new curse words, sore fingers, cuts, bruises and an empty wallet due to going to the pub to calm my nerves!

I actually finished this just within Sunday's deadline, but didn't get a chance until last night to take the photos. There are a couple of small areas which still need a little tidying, but for now, it's done.
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement during this tedious experience, and I can now add the bl**dy thing to my 56 Sqn collection !
Here's the six mandatory photos, and a couple of 'extras'.

Attachments

• Tornado GB 413.jpg
    Tornado GB 413.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 389
  • Tornado GB 414.jpg
    Tornado GB 414.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Tornado GB 415.jpg
    Tornado GB 415.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Tornado GB 416.jpg
    Tornado GB 416.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 255
  • Tornado GB 417.jpg
    Tornado GB 417.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Tornado GB 418.jpg
    Tornado GB 418.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Tornado GB 421.jpg
    Tornado GB 421.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 536
  • Tornado GB 420.jpg
    Tornado GB 420.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 298
  • Tornado GB 425.jpg
    Tornado GB 425.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 585
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much Vic. The canopy heating trunking, fittings and latches etc are just slightly bent lengths of plastic rod, stretched sprue and scraps of plastic. Or do you mean the Miniature Detonating Cords (MDCs), in the canopy glass? If so, they were carefully scratched in with the tip of a scalpel blade.

Last edited:
Ahhhh….I always thought that those lines on a canopy, it was these I was asking about, were a sort of super demister like you get on cars windows. You live and learn.

Early examples, such as the F-86 Sabre, were de-misters. But on most (but not all) modern jets, the ejection seats go through the canopy, for speed of egress (no lag whilst the canopy blows and clears the airframe), so the MDCs shatter the canopy when the seat firing handle is pulled, followed about a quarter of a second later by the seat firing.
On average, from initiation to being under a full parachute canopy is 2 to 2.5 seconds.

So much I don't know about planes...... detonator lines, who woulda guessed.....
I think our sonar cables in the whirley birds had a 45 cartridge to cut the cable in an emergency..

That's a mahvelous result you have there.
It's what I am striving for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back