Fly! or else Post Your Models 2!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What is strange is I tried to make it as required (500*100)...

Size 500x100 is a long and thin pic.It is good if it is like the pic at the top of the forum site.But a siggy should be different, I think.I know my should be a bit smaller but .....:rolleyes:

hey, uhh, know any good respirators cause my next model is a 1/72 italeri Ju-52, to be airbrushed after i get a respirator, and how much is one anywayz?

D'you mean a compressor? mine is made from an air compressing unit added to a normal driller engine. So low cost, and I use a...car wheel as an air reservoir.

Don't laugh, Vince, he may mean a respirator - a gas mask, that is! I use one for all airbrushing jobs, and when I dismantled my extractor fan hodd/engine the other day, the paint dust was several millimetres thick, too. Not to mention the solvents, etc.

Don't buy a compressor from a model shop, it'll cost too much; go to a good painting/decorating/wood-and-nails type DIY shop and poke about there. Look for one with oil, a reservoir which will damp out any irregularities in air supply, variable pressure with a pressure gauge and a water trap to remove condensation. Here, that would cost around maybe $150 - depends where you live.

Don't buy a compressor from a model shop, it'll cost too much,

But not only.In many cases the compressors aren't enough with an air pressure.So they cause problems you paint with an airbrush.I've just been working on my new compressor which consists of a compressing unit from my old fridge and an old car fire-extinguisher as the air reservoir.

My DIY compressor can put out up to about 6 bars - and you really only need about 2 - 2.5 maximum. Useful for cleaning things, though.

oh, i already have a compresor, the airbrush came with it, cost a little less than $100
and yes i meant a gas mask

How much a gas mask is? Not much. It's cheaper actually to get a special paint-spraying mask (with proper organic/charcoal filter) from a DIY shop than it is to get a military mask, anyway. Here in France, it is illegal to possess a functioning military mask ( guess why! :lol: :lol: :lol: ) anyway. You'll also want a pair of decent goggles to protect your eyes - some of those paints are not nice.

i use acrylic paints, i got a half-face asian-sized respirator, for around 400 pesos (around $3-4) with two cartridges for spray-painting at about 90 pesos (less than $2)... It's pretty good, i finished painting the top part of a Ju-87, but ran out of Hellblau and Light gray for the undersides. If i get goggles for painting, i got none, being a swimmer i would look really stupid with swimming goggles and a respirator

That's what I wore before getting some new ones. Better to look stupid in private than blind in public.

true, i paint outside with the fan on and lots of trees around and wearing a respirator, i should be able to finish my projects

OK sorry for the misunderstanding; yeah I also wear goggles and a simple mask while painting with the airbrush; I don't use it outside though. I noticed some dust could stick to the paint and model sometimes.

simple dust masks without those cartridges dont help much against the fumes, especially from the thinner

heard from finescale that a guy had lung surgery cause he had a crapload of plastic in his lungs because he didnt use a respirator... acrylic paint is plastic suspended in liquid form according to them

Too true - only a military-type filter is up to it; you can get these easily in any DIY shop such as Bricomarché in France or Texas in the UK. Check that the filter is for organics and solvents.

It may seem like overkill, but when you are using industrial alcohol, acetone and triclo, you do not mess about.

Sure; my own office here has become a chemical plant; I also use GTS resin, trichlo solutions to prepare melted plastic for moulding, thinners, cyano glue, all kinds of paint (I don't like acrylic for metal effects), silicon paste to make moulds, plaster (it makes dust), warmed acetate to vacuform parts....and the sanding makes lot of dust.
I once had a plastic bottle in which some resin was hardening catch fire and had to ditch the whole stuff into a full sink...
Having a flame close when cleaning an airbrush with a mix of air and thinner can also be a bit dangerous...some cements also easily catch fire...I also once had cyano glue take fire on a model when using a flame to build an antenna too close... I let you imagine burning cyano vapors...

I have to be careful not to upset Vince, but do not forget that France is a Revolutionary country, with a population which is sometimes easily led into dissent - witness all the strikes, etc, they have, or the rioting and car-burning fests last Christmas. The government may well be frightened that the population might do to them what it has done to their predecessors.

Certainly the French riot police are an enthusiastic lot, and use force with far less restraint than the British or German police do - and they use teat (CS) gas easily...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back