'Flying Sergeants' helped forge Air Force legacy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I read a story of an enlisted USMC pilot early in WWII somewhere in the Pacific.

An incoming raid caused planes to be scrambled and the Squadron Commander was informed that this pilot was missing. When the CO investigated he found that the pilot was on K.P!

While entertaining, that story is far fetched. The few American enlisted pilots flying anywhere close to a combat area were at least a Staff Sergent or higher. Even during WW2 I'd doubt you'd find anyone over E-5 doing KP.

What a great Read. This is my favorite topic of WWII aviation I thought I'd revive the thread... The E-5 Doing KP is a true story. This was on Guadalcanal in the early occupation on Henderson Field..The Marine in question was a Sgt. (hadn't made staff yet) I have his name in my history of marine corps aviation book and I will seek it out and post it later. Liaison pilots of the Army Air Forces not only did KP but it was often their only other duty besides flying... Granted, I wasn't there, but I've read this in several personal accounts from L-bird pilots in all theatres.

Does anybody have any photos of enlisted pilots?

What a great Read. This is my favorite topic of WWII aviation I thought I'd revive the thread... The E-5 Doing KP is a true story. This was on Guadalcanal in the early occupation on Henderson Field..The Marine in question was a Sgt. (hadn't made staff yet) I have his name in my history of marine corps aviation book and I will seek it out and post it later. Liaison pilots of the Army Air Forces not only did KP but it was often their only other duty besides flying... Granted, I wasn't there, but I've read this in several personal accounts from L-bird pilots in all theatres.

Does anybody have any photos of enlisted pilots?

Please do!

As I'm looking for that.... I'm reminded of "Snuffy" Smith..A B-17 Gunner (Staff Sgt.) who was unable to attend his own medal of honor reception because he was on KP duty as a punishment for arriving late to a briefing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back