FW-190F: How effective was it as a ground-attack fighter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have read about it before. It's just that I don't think it ever operated off carriers in either the Solomons or the Philippine Sea. The facts got a little murky over time.

While I've never flown a "real" 190 I can vouch for it's effectiveness in the Battle Over Stalingrad series of flight sims. Certainly less vulnerable to fighters and faster speed to and from the targets, as well as a smaller size when compared to Ju88/He111/Me110. When loaded down with all the armor and bombs it can be a bit of a pig, but still preferable to those other birds when moving mud. The only limitation is bomb capacity, but when I get together with some flying friends and we all fly there and bomb the reds it's a blast! The only other bird I love more in the JABO role is it's younger sister the 190D-9, damn that thing is fast but can only carry a single SC500 bomb. Attached is a "live" shot of me getting ready to roll over and deliver my payload, note the flak burst nearby!

Attachments

• 2020_3_23__15_8_40.jpg
    2020_3_23__15_8_40.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 2020_3_23__15_10_24.jpg
    2020_3_23__15_10_24.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 41
Gentlemen

Although I do not have any direct evidence on how effective the FW was as a ground attack on the eastern Front, I did find the following written in Soviet Aircraft of the Second World War, Volume 1 by Gordon and Khazanov, page 55: F and G models used the tactic of "surprise pirate raids'

"German fighter units, re-equiped with the multi-purpose FW190A, F and G, used the tactic of 'surprise pirate raids' on a large scale. They would attack advancing Soviet vehicle columns, the forward edge of the front line and close rear positions, then escape at full speed using augmented power. Yak-3s and Yak-9Us had an insufficient margin of speed to intercept the FW-190s at low altitude, but the task could be performed by the La-7, though not without difficulty."

From the above, I conclude that the FW's posed a big enough problem for the Soviet Armies to the the extent that the Soviet Air Force used 3 of their best fighters to try and stop the raids, and had difficulty in doing it. (I am NOT saying that the Soviets allocated select units to stop the raids, nor do I have any idea how prevalent the German raids were, what I am saying is that these raids by the FW's were difficult to intercept.)

Eagledad

Gentlemen

Although I do not have any direct evidence on how effective the FW was as a ground attack on the eastern Front, I did find the following written in Soviet Aircraft of the Second World War, Volume 1 by Gordon and Khazanov, page 55: F and G models used the tactic of "surprise pirate raids'

"German fighter units, re-equiped with the multi-purpose FW190A, F and G, used the tactic of 'surprise pirate raids' on a large scale. They would attack advancing Soviet vehicle columns, the forward edge of the front line and close rear positions, then escape at full speed using augmented power. Yak-3s and Yak-9Us had an insufficient margin of speed to intercept the FW-190s at low altitude, but the task could be performed by the La-7, though not without difficulty."

From the above, I conclude that the FW's posed a big enough problem for the Soviet Armies to the the extent that the Soviet Air Force used 3 of their best fighters to try and stop the raids, and had difficulty in doing it. (I am NOT saying that the Soviets allocated select units to stop the raids, nor do I have any idea how prevalent the German raids were, what I am saying is that these raids by the FW's were difficult to intercept.)

Eagledad
Something like 1/3 of FW 190 production was F and G models which indicates the Germans thought they were useful. The G model wasn't intended for close air support so much as it was a long range fighter bomber more like a cheaper, more survivable alternative to the JU 88. The German started using 109s as a bomber sustitute during the Battle of Britain.
The 190G was only armed with the 2 wing root cannon and did not usually have the extra armor of the F.

"Wurger" wouldnt be an unusual name for a fighter, it is a predator that catches insects. But many birds have more than one name, some people in England still call a Kestrel a windhover or wind hanger. If you name a plane, Wurger or Shrike some one will start calling it by its other name "butcher bird". The Fw 189 was named Uhu (eagle owl)
I thought the HE-219 was "Uhu"?

Something like 1/3 of FW 190 production was F and G models which indicates the Germans thought they were useful. The G model wasn't intended for close air support so much as it was a long range fighter bomber more like a cheaper, more survivable alternative to the JU 88. The German started using 109s as a bomber sustitute during the Battle of Britain.
The 190G was only armed with the 2 wing root cannon and did not usually have the extra armor of the F.
From the BoB I think it was clear that against a strong organised defence single engined fighter bombers had the best chance of performing a mission and getting back. The He 111 and Ju 88 were batted out of the game just as the Blenheim had been. The Fw 190 was more suited to ground attack than the Bf109.

It's not very relevant to the current topic, but If I remember correctly, the Fw 190 had the potential to load a centerline pylon with huge bomb - 1800kg that even a P-47 or F4U could not carry.

It's not very relevant to the current topic, but If I remember correctly, the Fw 190 had the potential to load a centerline pylon with huge bomb - 1800kg that even a P-47 or F4U could not carry.
Experimental models cried torpedoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back