Galland's Bf 109E-4 1/32 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Wayne Najco. I'll try to keep the standard up for the rest of the build. I now need some help with the interior cockpit colour. Late November 1940, before the engine upgrade and the spinner was capped, would it be more correct to use RLM 02 or RLM 66 (Dark Grey) for the interior?. And while on the subject, I am assuming that the exterior scheme of 02/70 over 65 is still correct for this period?

Rlm 02 for the cockpit interior, and RLM 02/71/65 for the colour scheme, although there was a change to 74/75/76 around this time.

Engine looks great Gerry following your progress and learning.

Thanks Woody Darryl. Woody, I've been following your 109G build and have to say I'm very impressed. It's great to see other people's standards, as they can only inspire me to attempt to come near them.

Darryl, thats some undertaking you've embarked on! Scale modeling is one thing, but full size replicas...!!!

Nice and a question on the engine mount colors is that rlm02? if it is it looks greener than what I used for my fw190 I used Model air color's version of 02 and it's defenitly a lot more brown than yours.

I Likee' the engine Gerry looks very good Sir.;) Cheers

Thanks Javlin TimEwers. I used Tamiya XF-22, RLM Grey mixed with XF-55 Deck Tan to get a tone close to FS35165. I don't have any colour swatches for RLM 02, except on my computer, which can be different from reality, as I know only too well from printing proofs. do you think it's a bit too green still?

Gerry I thought alittle green but figured it had to do with lighting or the monitor.In pics 34 it looks pretty close.Kevin

Gerry this 280 is all RLM 02 natural lighting how does it look to yours?

Attachments

• DSC02343_edited (900 x 611).jpg
    DSC02343_edited (900 x 611).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Your asking the wrong person on 02 As I have had it come up as anything from sac bomber green to light sea grey and barley grey even humbrol has it listed as iron grey.

But I have seen a few pictures of top wings on early 109's and it looks close to some of those colors as there seems to be a green tinge to it.

Javlin, looking at your 280 against my photos on screen, side by side, yours definitely has more grey-green in the mix. However looking at my paintwork in natural daylight, (as much as you get in Ireland at this time of year) it is closer to grey-green than on the screen shots but I would concede that yours is a shade lighter and greyer. In reality, my version of RLM 02 is not as olive drab as it appears on screen. My original shots were taken just before sunset when the natural light was very orange. I'll have another look at the mix when I come to painting the cockpit and exterior and see if I can get a better tone.

Gerry I wouldn't get too excited about the RLM 02, no matter what you do you are going to get some variation whether it be in your mix, in different lighting conditions, in images and even your monitor...and then others will see it different again!

Check your references and get your match close and run with it, it will drive you nuts otherwise...I know, been there, done that.:D

Thanks, Kevin Wayne regarding RLM02. It seems to be a very elusive shade to pin down. I have some colour reference shots from books of Bf109E cockpits and within a range of shots of the same interior, the colour changes completely - some looking a light blue-grey, others almost like RAF interior green. Does anyone have any opinion as to whether Tamiya XF22 is close?

Woody, good luck with your next project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back