GB.18 A little help needed.... Heavy Hitters II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Just thought we might need a thread dedicated to requesting a little help on details or whatever on our builds. Or at least I do.... so here goes.

Question..... interior color of wheel wells. For the life of me I can't find anything to confirm the interior color. I've seen some say black, and I've seen pictures of the upper part in zinc chromate.

If its's for the Lanc Bill, then the spars and frames above the wells themselves, were in the cockpit grey green colour, not Interior Green, which is an American colour. That's the area more or less inside the wing - the rest of the bays, including the front and rear walls and the doors, were 'Night' - black.

Yep, the Lanc. Thanks for that. So I will do the wing areas in grey green and everything else night black (semi-gloss) the inside of the doors and walls.

Gear legs black as well............ ?

should have asked this at the same time, sorry.

Last edited:
Okay quick question on the IL-2M3 interior color I have seen RLM02 and compass gray any ideas on this thanks for the help.

Okay quick question on the IL-2M3 interior color I have seen RLM02 and compass gray any ideas on this thanks for the help.

I think the RLM 02 wouldn't be a very good choice for the interior paint of Soviet WWII planes. I would follow the A-14 steel grey colour that was a designated interior paint, both for metal and wood. It was used as interior paint for duralumin planes and was applied both over ALG-1 or directly on duralumin. Also A-14 or A-14f was used for wooden construction planes glued with casein glues. It was applied in 2 coats directly on wood, without any primer.

The primers:
ALG-1 (colour not standardized: from yellow to orange-brown or yellow-green) was used as a protective coating/primer for duraluminium, both for exterior and interior surfaces
ALG-5 (colour not standardized: shades of gray-green) was used as a primer for mixed construction planes and Il-2 steel armor.
AII Al (silver) was used as an interior protective paint for wooden construction planes glued with casein glues. It was applied over DD113 nitro primer.
DD118 chlor-vinyl primer (gray) was used at the end of war for wooden construction planes glued with casein glues. It was applied in 2 coats if painted with brush or in 3 coats if sprayed.

DB-3interiorLbl.jpg

wheelwell.jpg

bombbays.jpg

The pic and info source ..... Interior colours for Yak's, Lavochkin, Pe-2, Il-2, Mig 3, I-16 ?

Bill, Lancaster undercarriage was predominantly black, with bare metal, dark red, and 'silver' *.
A quick look at photos will show what colours were where.
The tail wheel yoke was black, with the wheel hub in black, or sometimes dark bare metal, not the silver colour sometimes seen on preserved Lancs - these are normally Lincoln tail wheels (and Lincoln rudders on the BBMF Lanc).
* The silver was mixed from aluminium powder and clear dope, so for a model, add a very small spot of white to silver.
If you're stuck, I'll see if a I can dig out a decent colour photo.

That's about right Andy. The red 'bars' are removable safety lock struts, and wouldn't always, if at all, be seen on wartime Lancs - possibly if parked-up for some time, but not a 'standard' fitting. The black ring on the lower main leg, where the smaller radius arm joins, with the inverted 'V' at the side, was sometimes a very dark red. The smaller diameter arms were black, with the main retraction jack arms (the lower arms, with the hinge in the middle) normally in 'silver', but these could also be black.
The main wheels were invariably black, but could have the outer rim in metal, or just the smaller axle tube in metal. I'll dig out some war time shots to illustrate this.

Last edited:
Andy, I had found that same picture yesterday.

Terry, thanks again. Didn't know about the red safety strut as you described. Will go with the colors above and the silver/white hubs.

Got most everything covered now with a little help from our friends........... I hope.

Bill

Bill, to the best of my knowledge/memory, I have never seen a war time Lanc with the wheel hubs completely silver. They've all been either metal outer rim and black main hub, or the opposite.

I'll take a careful look at my wartime pics.

***Just took a look thru the stash of ref pictures, sure enough, a crew in front of a PO* aircraft, hubs are all black. So this is what I shall do.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Another question on the I.P. would it be cockpit color or flat black I received pictures from Geo which show cockpit color but I have seen others black thanks for the help.

Do you mean the Il-2 cockpit? If you do.... the black one rather no. According to my knowledge all visible areas were painted with the steel grey A-14 colour. However the tint of the paint might be a little bit different because of a primer for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back